• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EZ Locker

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
My EZ Locker was installed on saturday, and I have racked up about 200 miles. Off road the difference is incredible, makes me wish I had done this a long time ago. On road, I can deal with the occasional noise. My wife on the other hand said "she will never drive this Jeep" after a nice loud disconnect in the coffee shop parking lot. On the highway today there were no suprises, but it led me to come up with apressing question: I have 30 inch tires on the XJ and 2 inches of lift, the spare tire is 235. I I should happen to get a flat tire on the rear, will it cause problems to use the 235 spare? I seem to remember it was an item years ago on limited slip rear ends.

Yes, it will be a problem. A 235 is close to a 30, but not the same. You can work around this in case of a flat by putting the 235 on the front and swapping a front to the rear (if the flat is in the rear), but you'd be better off to find a used 30" tire. Most shops have take-offs they'll sell you for $10 or $15 that are plenty good enough to carry as a spare.

That was what I was worried about. I put BFG's all the way around when I got the Jeep in Jan, maybe I should just but a 5th to make sure its safe. In the mean time, I will see what can be scrounged up. Did you get my PM about the roof rack??

if you have for example all bfg's at's then I don't really think it would make a difference as they are only .5" different in diameter which means .25" on the radius. Anyways, the difference in distance traveled on each rotation is negligeable. All in all since I don't check air in my tires all that often I'd say that I"m probably running 1/4" difference in height at this point with my no slip as it is.

hmmm. Good point, I was hoping to have a matching spare tire and rim just in case, but if it can wait it will be my last priority.

Kejtar said:
Anyways, the difference in distance traveled on each rotation is negligeable.

It isn't negligible. Every time the tire rotates 1 time the 30" tire will want to travel 1.73 inches further than the 235 and that can build up to a lot of stress in the axles and EZ-locker which may cause a failure unless one of the tires can slip/spin like it could on dirt (but not on asphalt). The height from the road to the axle doesn't matter so running a little flat wont help anything but giveing yourself more traction lessening the chance of the tires slipping a little before a breakage.
I run EZ-lockers front and rear and when I went from 32's to 31's I didn't replace my spare right off (thats why I went to 31's- $) and the only way I could get away with it is if I had a flat I would have to change the tires around to where the 32 would be located at the front passenger side because I have a disconnect front axle and then I couldn't even run in 4wd off road due to the difference in tire sizes.
I'm not saying you WILL have a problem but parts cost too much (for me) to chance trashing them over not going and getting a used tire for $30.
GroversXJ ;)

Back