• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear end noise

MtnGoat

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ Sport that is all stock. It has developed a "clunking" noise in the rear end that I can not track down. It happens whenever driven, especially over bumps, but they don't have to be big. I've checked just about everything underneath for looseness to no avail. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Does it feel more like a clunk or thump? Does it do this when you brake hard too?

It might be the slip joint after the transfer case. It's covered by a boot, but the grease dries out, and makes noise. I pulled mine an replaced the grease with Loctite Silver.

Thanks for the reply. This noise is very frustrating. It doesn't seem to be coming from the drive train as it doesn't happen during accel or braking. Just driving over bumps, big or small.

A friend of mine has been searching on other boards for this problem and he found some saying the tail gate has a history of rattling. That is almost what it sounds like but the tail gate is tight. Anyone have any experience with this mysterious tail gate noise?

Thanks for the help.

It could be just about anything suspension related. A visual inspection of the rear might turn up something. Check the sway bar to see if the bushings are intact. That definitely would 'clunk' if not connected solidly.

My wife's '00 was making a thumping bumping noise whenever we hit a bump or if the idle was just right it would rattle a bit. After 2 trips to the stealership (I've never gotten ANYTHING fixed on the first trip) they found a flyer out on this problem. They replaced the rear tail pipe hanger with another one and I haven't had that problem again. It started doing it at about 20k and I'm at 35k now and it's still quiet. Maybe this could be your problem? :dunno:

Back