• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no fire or fuel stranded please help

jeepster1985

NAXJA Forum User
I was sitting in my 96 xj 4.0 aw4 at a red light yesterday and it just died on me. after pushing it to the side of the road i noticed i had no fire to the plugs or fuel, the pump didn't even kick on with the key. It just turns over and there are now warning lights with the key on except the seatbelt light. I am completely confused and without a vehicle please help me it would be greatly appreciated

their should be a relay that controls the fuel pump (emergency fuel shut off relay or somethin), havent myself had trouble w/ one on the xj, but on other vehicles similar situation that was the problem,

try to find the power source wire for the fuel pump & make sure its gettin voltage,
that sould be as simple as unplugging the wiring that goes to the pump it may have 3 or more contacts in the plug but One of them should check 12 volts w/ the switch in the run position..

if not the relay is more than likely the culpret, you may can hot wire the fuel pump or in the case w/ my past experience you could bridge the gap on the relay plug w/ a piece of wire,,

if you are gettin 12v @ the pump but no pumpy, then its the pump & that'll be a mofo, drop the tank buy new pump & replace..

good luck..

HOW old is the battery??

it could have a bad cell a minor fault in the voltage by a bad battery cell (not dead, but weakened can cause similar problems,,

could also be the CPS ( crank position sensor),, i've heard you can pull em off clean em & re-install & it fixes whatevers wrong,, if its bad then it'll be an easy fix.. the CPS is on the d/s of the trans bellhousing near the 1o'clock position has to wires coming off it, its basically a magnet covering in hard plastic w/ a bracket that holds it to the bellhousing..

try Unpluggin the positive lead of the battery for a little bit 2-3 mins. then restart (to reset the OBS sys.)

The condition with no spark, no fuel pump, and no gauges means that the problem affects mutiple circuits- this suggests either a weak battery (have you tried jumper cables on it?), bad grounds, or ignition switch. Bad grounds can mean multiple circuits don't work- fix could be to clean the ground cable connection at the battery and block, and the connections for the block to firewall jumper. You may want to check resistance in the battery to block cable- they can corrode inside the insulation. My bet would be the ignition switch- not the key cylinder, but the actual switch which operates via a rod from the key cylinder. The switch is at the bottom of the steering column. They are legendary for going out, with erratic loss of electrics resulting. A whole bunch of circuits are activated through this switch. Good luck.

The battery seems to be in good shape. It held a charge after it died. would the starter still engage if the ignition switch went bad and would the ignition switch make it die all of a sudden...It happened as if the switch had been turned off. Thanks for the ideas

My bet would be on the CPS. If your fuel system is holding pressure like it is suposed to your fuel pump would not activate. The CPS has caused a lot of us headaches. With the ignition switch, results may vary. It just depends on what curcit goes dead. Mine ran just fine I just had no accessories, some don't start, and others will run but the switch will not activate the starter. I would start with the CPS and move on to the ignition switch if that doesn’t work. HTH

Neil

Sounds like a CPS to me as well. I have put two of them on my Cherokee so far (93 Cherokee Sport, 167k miles). Couldn't figure out the reason my Jeep kept dying....fuel pressure good, pump not starting.....thought it was the fuel pump, then someone told me about the CPS.
Good luck mate!
DF7

PS You should be able to run the vehicle trouble lite codes to find your problem.

Please post whether it was the CPS or not. Just went to start the truck to go home today and am experiencing the same thing posted here. I noticed that I got no fuel reading when turning it on (it does have gas). Does that still sound like the CPS? I have a '98 with 102k miles.
Thanks,
Joe

Mine did the same thing once it ended up being a bad connection at the battery only way I figured it out is my alarm started going off really quiet after I tried to turn the key cause it didn't have enough juice to run everything. I just cleaned the terminals and battery post and it has been working like a charm.
Let us know DIG IT!

Back