• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.10 Gear Question

scottsxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have heard that the 4 cylinder wranglers come with 4.10 gears. Does anyone know what kind of advantages i would gain by installing them in my cherokee. And if so what year or axle from the wrangler should i use. And how do i find out what kind of axle is in mine. I have a 1992 cherokee sport. Its is 4wd, 4.0 highoutput, and it has a 5spd tranny. Any information would be helpful . Thanks
Scott

First thing first, do you already have a lift / oversized tires?

no ,my jeep is completely stock at the time being. But hopefully that will change. If i were to install a lift would that matter that i had the different gears.

scottsxj said:
I have heard that the 4 cylinder wranglers come with 4.10 gears. Does anyone know what kind of advantages i would gain by installing them in my cherokee. And if so what year or axle from the wrangler should i use. And how do i find out what kind of axle is in mine. I have a 1992 cherokee sport. Its is 4wd, 4.0 highoutput, and it has a 5spd tranny. Any information would be helpful . Thanks
Scott
Scott-
A better idea would be to get the axles from a 2.5L XJ instead of a TJ. I bought a 29-spline 8.25 from a '99 XJ w/2.5L, and it came with 4:10s.
It bolted right in to my 2001. I just sold it recently to install my Dana 44.

no ,my jeep is completely stock at the time being. But hopefully that will change. If i were to install a lift would that matter that i had the different gears.

The lift has nothing to do with the gears, (except drag depending on the size of the lift) but it does depend on the tire size... If you are stock with stock tires, and put the 4.10 gears in you will have a higher rpm because of reduction, and you might end up with other damage depending on how heavy your foot is..

You can look for a 96' or later Wrangler with a 4cyl. The Dana 30 front will be low pinion. As BillR said, look for an XJ with a 4 Cly between the years of 91-98. The later years you will not only be able to get lower geared axles but the larger U-joints as well.

For the rear axle, only look at Dana 44's, Ford 8.8 explorer, or Chysler 8.25.

Your best bet would be the Explorer axles. They require more modificationsto get them to fit, but some were geared to 4.10 and maybe have a Limited slip.

Chyler 8.25, is a direct swap, 4.10 with the 4cly models, but I think they would be kinda rare.

Dana 44's are great but you would have to regear them.

If you were going to get a D35, get the earlier model, non-c-clip. Came in some 2.8l and the 4 cly. XJ's.

I commend you for looking at gears first, with stock tires your crawl ratio would be really nice! Most go for the big tires and lift and then realized, that there rig sucks, because they have no power or too much wheel spin. Both of these can cause unexpected breaks on the trail.

www.car-parts.com is a good database for searching, Have fun!

XTrmXJ said:
The lift has nothing to do with the gears, (except drag depending on the size of the lift) but it does depend on the tire size... If you are stock with stock tires, and put the 4.10 gears in you will have a higher rpm because of reduction, and you might end up with other damage depending on how heavy your foot is..

You won't need the foot action, if you have propper gearing. Lower the better. Also 4.10 isn't really considered a low diff ratio.

i didnt mention this but im also new at this. And yes i know this is a dumb question. Is it the higher the number on the gear the lower it is

Back