• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waggy parts for XJ?

Hiaboo

NAXJA Forum User
Is there anything significant in the wagoneer( grand) lines that could be changed to/fit on a XJ? I know a yard nearby that has like 4 of them lined up out back. So.. Lay the info on me baby. :)

search "waggy" and "wagoneer"

Jeep offered a full-size Wagoneer in the late 70s - early 80s, and there was an XJ Wagoneer from '84 thru about '89 or '90, so when you want to know about GRAND wagoneers, it's best to specify Grand Wagoneer.

Front axle will interchange with XJ but it's low pinion so it isn't an improvement. Rear axles are couil spring, so won't fit w/o mods. And they're either Dana 35s or waek aluminum Dana 44s, so not worth the bother of fabbing new mounts. If you find one with rear disc brakes and want to convert your XJ, that's a possibility. Other than that, not much interchange. Steering box, I guess, and engine. Tranny is different.

The full size wagoneer (SJ) was offered from 1963 to 1991. In 1984 it was given the Grand Wagoneer title. I believe Eagle is refering to the Grand Cherokee (ZJ, WJ). Not much would be a direct swap from a SJ to an XJ but who likes parts that bolt on anyway. :)

heydave said:
The full size wagoneer (SJ) was offered from 1963 to 1991. In 1984 it was given the Grand Wagoneer title. I believe Eagle is refering to the Grand Cherokee (ZJ, WJ). Not much would be a direct swap from a SJ to an XJ but who likes parts that bolt on anyway. :)

YIKES!

Yes, I was indeed referring to the Grand Cherokee. As Dave says, the Grand Wagoneer is the older full-size model, which was previously known as the Wagoneer, Cherokee, or ...

My bad. :doh:

Back