• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj dana 44

etaniyani

NAXJA Forum User
i have heard that some people can get away with using the dana 44 in the older cherokees without replacing the driveshaft. i have a RE 3.5 lift with full leaf packs, would it be possible to replace the axle without buying a new drive shaft? i was hoping because of the lift, it would make up for the difference, and might even completely take away my minor vibration. as of now i have a D35, np231, xj 2001. thanks.

You'll be fine at static height. You might think about running taller bump stops to prevent stuffing the driveshaft into the t-case when you stuff the rear axle all the way up, but it's unlikely you'd stuff both sides far enough to do any damage.

etaniyani said:
i have heard that some people can get away with using the dana 44 in the older cherokees without replacing the driveshaft. i have a RE 3.5 lift with full leaf packs, would it be possible to replace the axle without buying a new drive shaft? i was hoping because of the lift, it would make up for the difference, and might even completely take away my minor vibration. as of now i have a D35, np231, xj 2001. thanks.

The XJ D44 pinion is about 1" longer than the D35. If you have about 2" of slip yoke showing right now, then it will work...but there is no reason it will take away your vibration. In a 2001, that vibe is caused by the t-case design, and you will only actual fix the design flaw by installing a slip yoke eliminator. Everything else is bandaid.

Nay

etaniyani said:
Your vibration problem is not coming from the driveshaft alone, it's because the redesigned NP231 tailshaft housing has an extremely long unsupported section. SYEs cut away a good amount of that unsupported length and move the 'bend' in the driveshaft forward - this reduces operating angles and allows a longer driveshaft.

However, I still think a D44 would be a good choice to replace that D35.

just don't had longer shackles. :nono:

I had to swap DS's because the shackles rotated the pinion forward and only had 1/4" of slip...

Back