• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Price on 35" MTR's?

Jeff 98XJ WI

NAXJA Forum User
What have you folks been paying for 35" MTR's? I can't seem to do better than $230 each locally but that includes mounting, balancing, new valve stems and road hazzard. Tire rack lists $170 each, but after adding shipping, FET, etc, the cost is more and then one has to add in mounting and balancing and they don't offer a road hazzard warranty. 4WPW has them for $189 with free shipping and warranty. However, this deal comes with a $90 handling charge! And then there is the mounting and balancing. Their warranty seems like it would be ripe for problems since I would have to get a repair made locally and then try to get reimbursed! If a tire is damaged beyond use, I have to ship it to them on my dime before they will evaluate it and replace it. Oh, then there is Tax if purchased locally. What are you folks doing? Thanks, Jeff

Wal-Mart
$9.76 to mount and balance. Just make sure you get a competent tech. Or have someone else mount and balance. Online will ship them to your nearest store with tire shop FREE.

Not buying MT/Rs?

Seriously one of mymain resons for going 35s is because I just got a set of 5 35" Mud Kings brand new for $300 from a friend. The 5.5" lift costs more, but when you consider what a set of tires costs its almost even. MT/Rs are definately pricey compared to BFGs or TRXus.

Barger said:
Wal-Mart
$9.76 to mount and balance. Just make sure you get a competent tech. Or have someone else mount and balance. Online will ship them to your nearest store with tire shop FREE.

Yeah I did this with my current KOs.

I just bought five of the same (MT/R's) two months ago for 199.99 apiece mounted and balanced. That's Canadian dollars from Westcoast Tire and Wheel in Sooke, BC. That's my local guy. That works out to 148.75 USD at today's exchange rate.

Buck

Last edited:
Well, not everybody has a LOCAL Wal Mart or Sears or whatever. I have a local American Car Care Center that is very good to work with, but not cheap. The nearest Wal Mart is 1.5 hours away. Sears is 2 hours away. I actually asked at that Wal Mart and the manager said special order and no price match. The guy at Sears said sure, he would price match, but also said something about plus shipping and road hazard. Then when my tires are wobbling around because the weights got knocked crazy, I have to drive 2 hours one way to Sears in Wausau WI to get them rebalanced and perhaps clean the bead. I do that all the time at my local American Car Care place. I just wish he could bring his price down a bit. Jeff - Northern WI

Dude, you're in Wisconsin, not the Southwest where MT/R's reign. Save yourself some coin and get a mud tire. The trxus would be a good choice if you want excellent road/snow manners with good mud capability.

Nay

I should be getting my 33" bias ply TSL's from lightlineofla.com this week. I plan to mount them on some 8" steel wheels and use them offroad only in the mud of the midwest. I've been wheeling for MANY years and this will be the first set of aggressive off road only tires for me. I did run a set of 31" bfg mud terrains and their road manners (especially after getting worn a bit) were not something I want to repeat. I've run through two sets of 33x10.5 BFG AT's and a set of 33x9.5 AT's and they've been good, but I want to step up in size and be able to drive across country without too much difficulty as well as daily run roads and backroads here in WI/MI. I've not owned MTR's before, but they look to me to be more road friendly/AT like than the BFG MT's while being more aggressive than the BFG AT's as well as being quite tough. So, if it won't cost me an arm and a leg, I would like to try a set of 35" MTR's. I am planning to make it to California this summer too. Jeff

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
I should be getting my 33" bias ply TSL's from lightlineofla.com this week. I plan to mount them on some 8" steel wheels and use them offroad only in the mud of the midwest. I've been wheeling for MANY years and this will be the first set of aggressive off road only tires for me. I did run a set of 31" bfg mud terrains and their road manners (especially after getting worn a bit) were not something I want to repeat. I've run through two sets of 33x10.5 BFG AT's and a set of 33x9.5 AT's and they've been good, but I want to step up in size and be able to drive across country without too much difficulty as well as daily run roads and backroads here in WI/MI. I've not owned MTR's before, but they look to me to be more road friendly/AT like than the BFG MT's while being more aggressive than the BFG AT's as well as being quite tough. So, if it won't cost me an arm and a leg, I would like to try a set of 35" MTR's. I am planning to make it to California this summer too. Jeff

I agree, lots of guys here on the Island run MT/R's and like their all round capability in snow or mud as well as across the dunes, not to mention their cooperative road handling. Great tires all around, I have no idea what Nay's talking about, I don't think a mudder would be better for what you describe, maybe he's never been out of the southwest! :D

Jeff 98XJ WI said:

Dude, if you want good road manners in a MT tire, especially in the snow, you should be running trxus MT's. I've had mine for two years, and they are still nicer than BFG AT ko's on the street (quiet, good handling, excellent sidewalls). They are better in packed snow, they are good in the rain, they are good in the rocks, and they are good in deep snow (we don't have mud...snow is the best comparison we have). I'd never hestiate to drive them cross country.

34x12.5x15 is the size you want over the 33x10.5 you used to run (this is exactly what I did). Run the backroads at speed, run the snow, run the mud and muddy rocks, and run the dry stuff. I'd take these over MT/R's for your usage any day as the siping is simply a major advantage for your conditions and they are going to be a better mud tire.

Plus you only need one set of tires at about $170/ea. I just saved you a fortune. You owe me 10% :party: .

Nay

I bought a set of four at sears today 134.40 each using that receipt at that particular store they retail for 204 each thats 70 dollars each i saved...
didn't pay any shipping, roadhazard, or anything just state sales tax...
and they were special order and I am picking them up first thing in the morning...

Carl

post that receipt! Then we can all take it to walmart and get 5% off that :D

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Well, not everybody has a LOCAL Wal Mart or Sears or whatever. I have a local American Car Care Center that is very good to work with, but not cheap. The nearest Wal Mart is 1.5 hours away. Sears is 2 hours away. I actually asked at that Wal Mart and the manager said special order and no price match. The guy at Sears said sure, he would price match, but also said something about plus shipping and road hazard. Then when my tires are wobbling around because the weights got knocked crazy, I have to drive 2 hours one way to Sears in Wausau WI to get them rebalanced and perhaps clean the bead. I do that all the time at my local American Car Care place. I just wish he could bring his price down a bit. Jeff - Northern WI

There is a wal-mart in ashland, should only be about an hour north of you.

Stop buying sh$t at Walmart. You are lucky there are no Walmarts near you. Sounds like you live in a nice place.

Nay

The Wal Mart in Ashland doesn't have an automotive area. I mean they can't do installs and such. I don't think one can get tires there either. I know what you mean about Wal Mart Nay. Like I said, I would LIKE to buy local, but the damn cost is sooo much. Jeff

Back