• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this normal?

jjvande

NAXJA Forum User
The diff. is out of a 84 cherokee and has recently been regeared. for the past few months i've been trying to track down a jingling sound from under the Xj and here it is.

http://in.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jjvanden/detail?.dir=/public&.dnm=a483.jpg

I hope that works...

I'm not sure if its installed wrong, or if a retainer fell off, but it is loose and can slide back and forth. just wanted to get some answers before i go back to the place thta did the gears.

If it's just a dust cover, could i just RTV it and put a zip-tie on the axle shaft to hold it in?

-thanks

From what I understood, thats called a "debris slinger"- it keeps the big chunks out of the shaft area- Ive never seen one loose enough to rattle though- turnable by hand, but not rattleing loose.

On the newer axles there is a plastic shield as well as the metal one(pic).Could you push it back toward the U-joint ? or just remove it.
Wayne

it seems like it might just be on the wrong direction. the passenger side is opposite. it could be cut off, but wouldn't that leave the end of the tube open to the mud and rocks?

Thanks for the info.

how hard is it to pull out that axle shaft?

The debris shield that goes on the axle shaft does NOT go inside the axle tube. It snap fits closely around the shaft, and its postioned near the opening in the axle tube. Its supposed to keep rocks and "big chunks" of stuff out of the tube. It is NOT water tight, nor is it supposed to fit tight against the housing.

If it moves back and forth on the shaft, clean the shaft with a brush, and attach the shield with a little RTV.

That looks perfectly normal to me. I'm not sure what to do with it if it moves back and forth, maybe a zip tie on either side in the correct position. Really you could probably do without it because it's not much of a shield in the first place, just keeps larger debris out of your axle tubes.

One other thing you might consider... if "fixing" the axle tube shield doesn't solve your "jingling" noise, check the little cover and pin on the outer ends of your axle shafts... if the cover isn't a tight fit over the nut and the pin has some looseness in it, the whole assemble will make a "jingling" noise as you drive down the road... usually the little cover is rusted to the nut so you don't hear noise, but they had to remove the axle shafts to regear, so they probably are loose now. It happened to me on my 87 after I changed out a bad u-joint and it took me a couple days to figure out what the noise was.

Use LockTight Sleeve Retainer (Blue), and tap in close, to seal the tube. You definately need this if you do mud, don't listen to those west coast guts :)

THanks for the info. i put a zpi tie so tat its up close to the tube and doesnt jingle any more. if that doesnt last...ill try the adhesive.

yea, those end caps were also loose, that was the first thing i calked down. then all the cotter pins...

i find it amazing how something like that can drive me nuts after a long time. the jeep feels sooo good now and i think i gained 1mpg too!!:)

Thanks again.

-J

jjvande said:
THanks for the info. i put a zpi tie so tat its up close to the tube and doesnt jingle any more. if that doesnt last...ill try the adhesive.

yea, those end caps were also loose, that was the first thing i calked down. then all the cotter pins...

i find it amazing how something like that can drive me nuts after a long time. the jeep feels sooo good now and i think i gained 1mpg too!!:)

Thanks again.

-J

A jingling sound can drive you nuts? In a Jeep? If I were you, I would change the XJ with something like a Mercedes. Then you would die of boredom, no sounds, no jingling, nothing. My old XJ is making so many sounds, it's hard to find out which are the usual ones and which one was the axle being left behing in the traffic light (no it hadn't happened yet, but if it does, I wouldn't know, at least not by the sound of it).

LoL
---------
John SV1CEC

SV1CEC said:
A jingling sound can drive you nuts? In a Jeep? If I were you, I would change the XJ with something like a Mercedes. Then you would die of boredom, no sounds, no jingling, nothing. My old XJ is making so many sounds, it's hard to find out which are the usual ones and which one was the axle being left behing in the traffic light (no it hadn't happened yet, but if it does, I wouldn't know, at least not by the sound of it).

LoL
---------
John SV1CEC

:cheers: :roll: :roflmao: :laugh: :clap: :rof: :worship: Gotta love this place!

Ghost said:
:cheers: :roll: :roflmao: :laugh: :clap: :rof: :worship: Gotta love this place!

Yeah and the roasted lamp I send you!

LoL
-------
John SV1CEC

Back