• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$#@*%#@^*% UCA Axle Bushing

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, I noticed that my passenger side was kind of loose and rubber was worn, so I decided to swap them out (especially since I had a set sitting on the shelf in the garage). In any case, I had the passenger side out and new one in in under 30 minutes. That made me wonder about all the posts about replacing them and how hard it is... well, that feeling didn't last long: here comes the drivers side. If it wasn't for the fact that the rubber was more then "used" and "very flexible" I wouldn't have touched it... but I had to. Anyways it took me close to 90 minutes to get it out (metal sleeve was in there TIGHT) and another 30 minutes to start the new one in and it's still not all the way in. As a tool I have been using a 2.25" socket and it was working fine and dandy till the drivers side came along: it doesn't really fit and I can't pull the new bushing all the way through. I might figure something out tomorrow morning, but at this point I give up before I break something out of frustration!

Anyways, does anyone have suggestions as to how to pull that damn bushing in? And how far in should it go??

Last edited:
did you try lube and sticking the bushings in the the freezer for a few hours before the install? Since the one giving you problems is half way in it wouldn't make sense to pull it and freeze it now... How about a ball joint clamp and vaseline?

I used a grinder to taper down the end some so that i could start it then beat it in with a hammer and punch i didnt take alot off but it did help and since that edge sticks through the mount that holds it i didnt think it would be a problem

OK, I think I got them in. I had to fab a different spacer to go on the other end and pull through and I went through 2 bolts in the process as the threads got messed up on one while I was pulling. Anyways, I will check it in a while to see if it's loose or tight.

Freeze the bushing, heat the hole- I use a torch.
Then I stick the entire arm/bushing in the vise, and tighten that sucker down till she bottoms out. I have to put a block of wood in the arm- mine has a hollow. works like a charm.

Ed in North Ga. said:
Freeze the bushing, heat the hole- I use a torch.
Then I stick the entire arm/bushing in the vise, and tighten that sucker down till she bottoms out. I have to put a block of wood in the arm- mine has a hollow. works like a charm.

Good idea, but it's not the arm end... it's the axle end. In any case it's all in now :D

Back