• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Popping" and smoke under hard acceleration?

getoffmylawn23

NAXJA Forum User
This just started happening recently, and it happens once every few days or so. I'm finally getting around to asking since it happened to me twice today.
What happens is occasionally under hard acceleration I hear a slight "popping" come from what seems to be under the passenger floorboard. I also a bit of power and whenever I look in my rear view mirror I see a nice cloud of light-colored smoke. When I lay off he gas pedal and press it again, everything's back to normal. I haven't gotten any check engine lights so far. I have no idea what's going on since I'm new to the whole trying trying to fix stuff yourself world.

A little info about my Jeep:
91 4.0 HO I6
139,xxx
Auto (AW4)
NP242 T-Case
3.5" lift
31" tires
D35 rear, D30 front
ABS
3.55 gears

Thanks in advance.

My 98 is doing the exact same thing, but minus the smoke (or at least I haven't noticed the smoke.)

I replaced the front O2 sensor as suggested (the rear one was replaced less than 2 years ago.) After replacing the front O2 sensor I still have the problem, but now I'm getting O2 error codes 132, 135, and 138. I reset the computer and about 2 days later I started getting the codes again.

My throttle body should be relatively clean, but I can check again. I take it apart every now and then and thoroughly clean it. I have not checked the TPS ever though.

DharmaDog said:
My 98 is doing the exact same thing, but minus the smoke (or at least I haven't noticed the smoke.)

I replaced the front O2 sensor as suggested (the rear one was replaced less than 2 years ago.) After replacing the front O2 sensor I still have the problem, but now I'm getting O2 error codes 132, 135, and 138. I reset the computer and about 2 days later I started getting the codes again.

My throttle body should be relatively clean, but I can check again. I take it apart every now and then and thoroughly clean it. I have not checked the TPS ever though.
If you're getting O2 error codes check if they are connected tightly and you might want to replace the other one as well.

Back