• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rough idle,surging,hesitation,cough

mopwr2u

NAXJA Forum User
HELP :cry:
I had just got a tach so I knew what rpm I was acheiving and at 4000 it would seem to run out of fuel so I replaced the fuel filter. got better had power to about 4500 or so then no bog but just seemed to top out. idle good
acceleration from stop smooth. Last night I started up after work idled for about 10 min or so went 5 blocks shut off. started back up after maybe 2 min and it started then died right away tried again same thing. held foot on throttle started up then tried to move and it died trying to idle. started again and it was surging and just running poorly dies at every stoplight. got it to work 5 blocks. checked fuel pressure it was about 13 psi so i set it to 15 still same. then it started to do ok at idle for a few min 2-5 then surging from 1000 to 500 and repeat. no black smoke visable to me.
FYI after I changed the fuel filter I checked pressure it was at 23 first time i had done it i set it then to 15 and all seemed good that was on wed morn.
any ideas on what could of happened ? what I may want to check first?
I haven't disconnected the battery yet to reset computer.

oh ya tech info It's an 87 cherokee 2.5L tbi 144k miles has a few sensors I can't seem to find for that year in my haynes book. the o2,map,tps and idle ones I found . looks like it also has a coolant sensor in the intake and a intake air temp one also in the intake manifold. also is this year supposed to have a check engine light that comes on if so its not functioning.
thanks for the help sorry for the length of post.

mopwr2u said:
HELP :cry:
I had just got a tach so I knew what rpm I was acheiving and at 4000 it would seem to run out of fuel so I replaced the fuel filter. got better had power to about 4500 or so then no bog but just seemed to top out. idle good
acceleration from stop smooth. Last night I started up after work idled for about 10 min or so went 5 blocks shut off. started back up after maybe 2 min and it started then died right away tried again same thing. held foot on throttle started up then tried to move and it died trying to idle. started again and it was surging and just running poorly dies at every stoplight. got it to work 5 blocks. checked fuel pressure it was about 13 psi so i set it to 15 still same. then it started to do ok at idle for a few min 2-5 then surging from 1000 to 500 and repeat. no black smoke visable to me.
FYI after I changed the fuel filter I checked pressure it was at 23 first time i had done it i set it then to 15 and all seemed good that was on wed morn.
any ideas on what could of happened ? what I may want to check first?
I haven't disconnected the battery yet to reset computer.

oh ya tech info It's an 87 cherokee 2.5L tbi 144k miles has a few sensors I can't seem to find for that year in my haynes book. the o2,map,tps and idle ones I found . looks like it also has a coolant sensor in the intake and a intake air temp one also in the intake manifold. also is this year supposed to have a check engine light that comes on if so its not functioning.
thanks for the help sorry for the length of post.

no check engine lights on the 87 model......mine woulda come on by now

all of a sudden it works fine again
every once and awhile it surges during idle but most times seems good but still seems gutless above 4000 rpm any ideas?

Back