• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stripped threads in pan at oil drain plug location

bleech1

NAXJA Forum User
Stripped the threads in my oil pan from what I'm guessing, years of overtightening the plug (over 200k on motor).

What kind of repair plugs to any of you have experience in useing?

Has anyone used a piggyback plug? A self taping larger bolt that you just screw into the old threads and use the inside smaller bolt for oil changes. Seems to be just what I need. Ill have to check the local auto parts stores.

Anyone know the thread of the plug offhand? Looks to be 12mm fine thread or 1/2-20.

1990XJ 4.0L

Thanks.

i have stripped the threads on a few plugs over the years but never on the pan itself...double check to make sure the pan is stripped before you try a larger self tapping plug (which should be available from any decent parts store/not auto zones or advance, unless you get lucky and find someone who knows their stuff) the plug should be a softer metal than the pan ... good luck

I'm pretty sure it's 1/2-20. Easy check -- wheel lug nuts are 1/2-20, if a lug nut thredas onto it that's what it is.

Pep Boys sells oversize, self-tapping drain plugs. I'd start with one of those.

the first time i changed the oil in my first xj i realized whoever had last changed it had stripped the pan. i bought a self-tapping plug to replace it and it worked great. i'm 90% sure it was a 1/2"-20. hth.

Back