• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA: Curved vrs. Straight

LBEXJ

NAXJA Member #721
Can someone explain to me the differences between the curved LCA and straight arm (besides the obvious)? Most of the curved arms I've seen have the eye centered on both ends while the straight arms have the eye off-set on the end. I would sure appreciate some feedback on these designs if anyone could help.

Thanks,

Les

I'll step out on the limb. My observation is the curve and the offset both have the same purpose...to clear the shock mount pad that protrudes back over the LCA somewhat. My personal preference would be the straight arms, simply for strength and they offer a slight bit more ground clearance. If the shock pad hits the arm, cut the end of the pad off. HTH

Dale

Ah this is what i have been waiting for, Im about to fab up some LCA's. It seems that this is indeed the diffrence between straight and curved (the clearance isue their) I think i would go with curved though as offcentre bushings are hard to find and somehow i dont think they'd last to long? anyone have comments on this? I could be wrong

Xjdubber said:
I think i would go with curved though as offcentre bushings are hard to find and somehow i dont think they'd last to long?
The bushing itself isn't off center. The sleeve that the bushing is in is off center. Bubicon Express uses stock LCA bushings on the axle end of some of theirs, so if you did a set up similar to theirs, they're easy to find and fairly cheap also. But it's your boat, build it to how you want it to float.

Dale

With all the discussion about the angle of the arm, is there anything there with regard to the curved arms having less angle coming off the axle? I understand the angle is more, consequently, after the angle ... but would the relatively parallel angle off the axle make the arms less subject to shock?

Les

Sorry about that Max ... I really did not think my question was all that absurd. I have not seen any tech on the design and was wanting a bit of info.

Maybe I have misunderstood your use of the CAPS, but my progessive lenses still work fine.

Les

roXJeepr said:
Bubicon Express uses stock LCA bushings on the axle end of some of theirs

Thread hijack - I had been told the rubber bushing goes on the frame end and the JJ on the axle - did I get bad info?

ColoCherokees said:
Thread hijack - I had been told the rubber bushing goes on the frame end and the JJ on the axle - did I get bad info?
The rubber end goes on the axle to absorb the vibrations of the road, as opposed to the unibody absorbing them, then transfering them to your seat.

ColoCherokees said:

hmmm....now I can't remember for sure. I do believe you're right tho. I was thinking that the offset was on the rubber bushing end, but I think, since you mentioned it, that it is on the JJ end. Hell I don't know, I'll have to go look. Whichever end has the offset goes to the axle.

The super flex joint is is the off-set end of the arm on the RE SF2 LCA.

Les

PS: From RE Instruction guide: Install the lower control arms with the rubber bushing at the frame (use factory bolt at this end, and don’t fully tighten until vehicle is back on the ground). The super-flex assembly bolts to axle bracket with supplied hardware. The offset tube is to be located as low as possible (see photo 1).

Last edited:
logdog said:
The rubber end goes on the axle to absorb the vibrations of the road, as opposed to the unibody absorbing them, then transfering them to your seat.

NVH transmitted through the control arms to the chassis is the sum of the isolation capabilities of both bushings.

What you put at each end will affect axle articulation. There was a recent thread on long arms that discussed this at length. Sorry I don't have the link.

Back