• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to replace shift lever assembly on auto trans 90 xj

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
I have to replace my shift lever assembly. How do I get the cables out of the assembly. I detached them from the movable part they attach to but can't figure out how to get them out of the part of the assembly that hold them in front.

Also is there any trick to getting the old assembly out. Do I have to remove the large outer plastic part between the front seats that covers the transfer case shift lever and contains the . I seem to have trouble removing it --it seems stuck near the transfer case lever. Do I need to remove it. If so is there anything I need to do to get it free.

I solved the problem. To move the cables from the shift assembly on my xj it is necessary to squeeze the plastic locks on the cables that are at the end of the cables after they go into the shift assembly, then push the cables forward. This is different than whats shown in my chilton and haynes manuals.

I had to take out all the covering plastic. The big piece was stuck because there is a screw under the cover of the transfer case shift lever that has to be unscrewed.

I definately could benefit from factory service manual.

Back