• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another tire poll

What would be better???

• 32 x 11.5

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • 33 x 10.5

Votes: 30 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FELIX

Who Knows, Ask Who
I know, I know another tire poll. Anyway I'll be shopping for tires before too long. Right now I'm @ 5- 5 1/2" running 32x11.5 BFG Muds 5spd w/ 4:11's I'm wondering if I should go 33x10.5, or stick w/ 32x11.5. I figure they should weigh pretty much the same, & have the same effect power wise, being it's either 1" taller, or 1" wider. What are your guys thoughts.

Thanks Rob

What's the prices for the 32's and 33 x 10.5. If it's the same as 33 x 12.50 then go 33 x 12.50. I know it will depend on wheels, but if that isn't an issue then go wider.

I ran 4.10 and 33 x 12.50 MT/Rs. Not bad onroad or offroad, I'm almost finished with my 4.88's. I went with the lower gears because of a deal I was orchestrating rather than disapointment with the 4.10's.

FELIX said:
I know, I know another tire poll. Anyway I'll be shopping for tires before too long. Right now I'm @ 5- 5 1/2" running 32x11.5 BFG Muds 5spd w/ 4:11's I'm wondering if I should go 33x10.5, or stick w/ 32x11.5. I figure they should weigh pretty much the same, & have the same effect power wise, being it's either 1" taller, or 1" wider. What are your guys thoughts.

Thanks Rob

i feel your pain.. I am in the same boat...luckily i have another couple of months to ponder...

1 inch wider is 1 inch wider, but 1 inch taller is only 1/2" higher off the ground. I vote for the wider tire and more flotation.
Jeep on!
--Pete

I don't want to go 12.5's because of my rim bs, would be sticking out too far, My 32's use to rub in front, until I cut the fenders, not sure if I have enough clearance. Plus, I don't want to gain too much weight in the tire. I don't want to regear again. It wouldn't be a problem in the rear, running 9", but I don't want to lose any more strength in the ring & pinon of my 30 up front, & over stress the streering. 44 was the original plan, but I ran out of $$$, When I got married :bawl: I've been really happy, with my 32's, but I was wondering if I should make the trade off of 1" higher, or 1" wider. I know the 32's carry a higher load rating & I do load the roof rack up @ times. I also have a new 32 spare.
Thanks for all the input. I've got a little bit of time, so I'll still be listening to suggestions

Thanks again
Rob

Pete M said:
1 inch wider is 1 inch wider, but 1 inch taller is only 1/2" higher off the ground. I vote for the wider tire and more flotation.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Very good point. I really would only be gainiing 1/2", but losing a full 1" of width

The 32 has more surface area which is good off road, that's also more friction on pavement and slightly (very little) lower gas mileage if you care. What kind of tire? The siping on the wider tire may clean out better if the lugs are farther apart.

Here's another stray vector for you: I'm going 265/75-16 (32x10.5).

LOL

r@m

Is the 33x10.5 actuall 33" tall, how does it actually compare height wise with a 32x11.5. From what I've seen with the 33x10.5 there really aren't that tall, well the BFG at/ko's anyway, My 33" trxus make a 33x12.5 look like a 31", just a thought. You might not be gaining anything by going to a 33x10.5 except a narrower tire.

CartsXJ said:
Is the 33x10.5 actuall 33" tall, how does it actually compare height wise with a 32x11.5. From what I've seen with the 33x10.5 there really aren't that tall, well the BFG at/ko's anyway, My 33" trxus make a 33x12.5 look like a 31", just a thought. You might not be gaining anything by going to a 33x10.5 except a narrower tire.

What he said. My rule of thumb is if it is a normal radial take the marked height and subtract an inch - inch+half for the real height. Unless it is a Interco - then it is what it is marked. I've heard the Interco tires in the 38"+ sizes are smaller than marked but I'll never come up against that.

BFGs are always at least an inch smaller than marked, IME.

r@m

according to bfg's site... the 33's are a full inch taller then the 32's. the at's are listed as 32.7 and 31.7 respectively and moving to mt's would be 32.8 and 31.8 respectively and yes the interco tires run true to size and taller depending on the model.

poppabear said:
according to bfg's site... the 33's are a full inch taller then the 32's. the at's are listed as 32.7 and 31.7 respectively and moving to mt's would be 32.8 and 31.8 respectively and yes the interco tires run true to size and taller depending on the model.

That's still only 1/2" of clearance.

1/2 on top, 1/2 on the bottom.

I ran 33 x 10.5s for a long time. They were a good configuration for me, because i ran them on stock rims and worried about too much rubbing. At the time i was running 4.5" of lift with cut flares and they cleared really well, minimal rubbing on the LCA's at full lock, and i just adjusted my bumpstops to prevent fender contact. I say try them out, if they are approx the same price, might as well gain that extra half an inch of clearance...
Buck

i bought bfg muds in 33 x 10.5 b/c i felt as though thed stuff better into the fenders (still runnin stock flares) @ full flex & also b/c they would fit the 7" blackies that i already had.

btw--
yes 33 x 10.5 do stuff well into stock flares w/ 15x7" rims w/ 4.5" bs (i think thats the right bs) w/ about 5.5" of lift..

other reason is i just plain like a tall-skinny lookin mudder, yeah i'll put 12.5" wide tires on her probly the next set, but they'll be 35s w/ fenders trimmed.. ;)

33x12.5. They're only 33s! You'll be ok with 4.10s, especially if its your commuter, your steering will be fine, who cares about floatation? You're in California remember? We don't really know what mud is and snow is just something to have fun in until it melts. In rocks however ever bit of clearance counts. You ain't going nowhere if you're sitting on your pumpkin no matter how wide your tires are.

Edit: oh yeah, run more bumpstop if you rub :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back