• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 Probs on a 2001 XJ

JerseyShpreXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have been the original owner of my XJ since I drove it off the floor in Jan 2001. I have used Mobil 1 religously and I have used the bosh plat plugs always. Well its seems that I have run into two problems recently. The first one being a hard shifting tranny during cool morning start ups. It usually goes away after the truck has warmed up a bit and gone down the road about a mile. Any suggestions on how to overcome this would be great. Secondly, I have been noticing the oil pressure has been limiting out at 80 on the guage and sometimes the check guages light goes on also. I put the XJ into neutral and rev the motor and the pressure drops down to between 40 and 50. Is this a common thing for Xj's of this year? Also I do a lot of traveling to work and average around 33,500 miles per year. As of right now it is parked with 95,500. It still runs strong and I have never had any problems with the tranny before. The motor had some injector work done to it last year about this time and I had them do a tranny service (change the filter and fluid) at the same time. Just being precautious. This work was done at a dealership. Please any comments or any advice would be greatly appreciated. You guys all helped me out when I had to get new tires and you guided me to the right size for the biggest available without a lift. Thanks for your time in reading this issue and I look forward to your help.

Transmission-how many miles since the last fluid change? If over 30k I would do it again.
For the oil guage, It could be the sending unit going bad. I have never heard of a oil pump going with such little miles so that might be the first place to look provided it's not over filled with oil or low on oil. Just a guess. When my oil pump went bad the guage would stay around 30, it would never go up or down. So you could rule that out. Juice

Back