• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5speed swap tail shaft?

mopwr2u

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if I got a 5 speed t5 out of a 4WD and wanted to use it for a while in my 2WD till I got the transplant done could I use the tail shaft on my t4 for now so I have a 5 speed. I'm looking at a 2-4 months before I get all the parts and time to do the total swapout.

First of all, you don't have a t5, you have an AX-4 transmission(4spd) the AX-5 is the 5spd. We covered that in a previous thread. Let me see if I can get theis straight...

You have a 4 spd 2WD trans now...you want to get a 5 spd with an xfercase on it to eventually do a 4WD sawp.

Your question is: Can I remove the Xfer case and tail cone from the 5 spd and use the tail cone from the 4 spd on the 5 spd?

My advice: How long until you expect to do a 4WD swap? If it's only a few months...drive the 4 spd and leave the 5spd intact..less chance to break something, etc...

Plus, I am not too sure of how the output shafts on the 2WD vs 4WD trans are, one maybe shorter or longer than the other which would require you to crack the cases on both of them and swap, which is just wasted work since you would have to swap back to do a 4WD conversion.

If you ask questions that are easier to understand, you will get more answers to help your cause........just a tip

AX4/5's are three pieces..front section, intermediate plate, and rear section. On 2WD's, the rear section is the extension housing, and on 4WD's it is a much shorter section that is flanged to accept the transfercase. In other words, the 2WD extension housing doesn't bolt onto the rear section, it is in fact it's own rear section altogether. You'd have to split the case and replace it as well as the output shaft...2WD one is too long. IMHO, too much work for a temporary thing.
Jeff

I see thanks thats why I asked you guys
Sorry about the mis understanding I thought I had a t-4 transmission
My mistake I'll pay closer attention next time

mopwr2u said:
I see thanks thats why I asked you guys
Sorry about the mis understanding I thought I had a t-4 transmission
My mistake I'll pay closer attention next time

I belive T4's were an older AMC trans....CJ era IIRC....?

In a semi-interesting side note, the T-5 was actually used in the old 84-86 jeeps. I don't know the specific run but I know that my '85 has a T-5 in it. I believe it was made in june of that year. Anybody know the reason they put some of these in? I had heard that they had run out of AX-5's and had to put those in. I guess mid-85 would have been late in that model year's production, so perhaps mine was one of the first to have it. Anybody know if it was ever in any other model years?

Back