• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speakers for rear hatch

XJ_in_Canada

NAXJA Forum User
I wondering if anybody has replaced there 5.25" speakers in the rear hatch with 6x9's? If any modifications were needed to accomplish this.

I just replaced the front door 5.25's with 6.5's.

Not that i have heard of-

But not that it can't be done. On my '98 two door i installed 6 X 9's in the rear seat side panels and lately 8" triaxials in the doors!! Needless to say had to jump through major hoops to do it but the resulting sound is quite impressive. Even mounting the amps was not an easy job. I had also previously upgraded to 6.5" in the front doors but just was not enough-

Yeah what size are the front speakers supposed to be?? everywhere I have been told me that they were 6 1/2 or something big like that but I couldn't get them to fit so right now I have 5.25 all the way around and I hate it

All i know is that Polk DX series 6.5" speakers will fit perfectly in the doors. Their 5.5" will NOT. Strange but true. The only problem is that those Polks are expensive, good but expensive. Is the way the speaker baskets are designed.

johnjohn is it possible to post some pics of your 6x9's and the cuts u made... i have 6x9's in 2 little boxes i got on sale for 15 bucks... then i just ran wires to the hatch so i can sit them in my back seat when nothing is in there... sounds spectacular. you can even take them out of the car 15 ft or so. but they are kinda of a nuisance sometimes so i'd like to get em in the door if i could. if anyone wants pics of mine just lat me know

JohnJohn, are the speakers vertically 9" 's or Horizontally 9" 's?

I'd like to see pic also. I've been looking at 6x9's but am sceptical at buying cuz I'm not sure if I can get them to fit.

DenT,

I'll post some later on today. The carpet cover on the back was a pain to put back on, so the pics will be above the cutting. .

Cut down the fiberglass. (wear a mask) I just made the stock 6" hole larger. Remember not to cut were the speaker frames will screw in. Don't ask me how I know this. :)

Eyeball the carpet cover over the holes and cut it down to fit the holes.

Snap the carpet cover back on, pulling the speaker wire through.

Hook up the speakers and screw them into the carpet board and fiberglass.

i am just curious as to where you actually made the cuts? above for below the mounting posts... if you have AIM i am "quickstreek" leaveing for the shore in a bit but if you see me on drop me a line

pictures

speakers1.jpg

speakers2.jpg

I've got 6X9s mounted in the rear hatch like JohnJohn. Just opened up the stock speaker holes, it's really not a big deal to mount them.

Jes

thanks johnjohn... time to bust out the dremel and get buisy...if i ever get around to mountin them it i'll post pics

I did the same thing as Johnjohn in my '89 laredo. Just make small cuts until they fit. Mine are just screwed into the plastic carpet cover which by the way, was much harder to cut than the fiberglass. Just get a Dremel and start cutting.

did it

only had about n hour so it is a mild hack job but it works. needed to get rid of those 2 annoying boxes i had. here are a few pics of how i did it. brace yourself they are huge pics... you'll appreciate your broadband
http://wave.prohosting.com/jeepxj/

I didn't see it mentioned, but you also need to get some kind of expanding inserts for the holes you drill into the hatch.

I ran my 85 like this for quite a while, and over time, the weight of the speakers ripped the screws out. I just had to go back and drill the holes out larger and use anchored inserts to hold everything together.

I mounted them through the hatch cover like JohnJohn did. this REALLY helped keep the hatch cover from rattling and falling off.

also, make sure that your gas struts for the hatch are in good shape. adding the 6x9s was enough to make mine not hold the hatch up anymore :(

but it is DEFINITELY worth the effort!

hmm didn't think about the screws... good idea though i'll have to put together a lil something...

as for my hatch pistons they have been shot for quite some time... i fabed up a lil piece of pvc that fits on the expanded part of the piston when it is open to hold it up... those danm things are $20 a pop. think i'll have to have a visit to the rip off junk yard. although they would fit nicely in my plants leg

Back