• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker questions

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
When I'm going to be building up the D44 in the summer I'm tossing the idea of either doing Detroit in the rear or getting two Aussies (one front, one rear). What do you guys think? Cost wise the detroit would run me about $500, the two aussies about $500 as well.
What do you guys think?

A lunch-box locker is only as strong as the stock carrier it's assembled in. Go with the proven product, the Detroit locker. One broken lunch-box locker, damaged ring and pinion, and bearing set isn't cheaper than doing it right the first time with the Detroit.

Kejtar said:
When I'm going to be building up the D44 in the summer I'm tossing the idea of either doing Detroit in the rear or getting two Aussies (one front, one rear). What do you guys think? Cost wise the detroit would run me about $500, the two aussies about $500 as well.
What do you guys think?

Remi, you have a no-slip right? You may not like either the Detroit or the Aussie.

It's all about the money, bottom line. The more you pay the better the product at least whe it comes to lockers. Stay away fromt the detroit, get the aussie and save up for a real locker. Or just save up for an ARB, OX, Electrotrac or Tera's air locker just to name a few.

How soon do you need it, June :D

if you are going to spend $500 for a Detroit then go $600 and get the ARB. I had a NoSlip at first and now have an ARB. No comparison. It's well worth the difference in $$. Lunch box lockers are not nearly as strong. I broke the noslip three times.

hey remi! i really like my arb's front and back. i'm not sure how the aussie is, but my quickloc i put in my d44 was miserable on the street. chirping on all turns and wore out my tires. (that said, if you want a d44 quickloc with only 2 dirt rides and 2 months actual,i'll let it go cheap. worked well in the dirt). in the rain the rear would do allllll sorts of exciting things being full time. must be fun on the street in the snow. but as the hardcore fulltime locker guys will tell you it just needs some adjustment to your driving skills. in fairness i'm told the detroit behaves way better than the quicloc....

ChuckD said:
Remi, you have a no-slip right? You may not like either the Detroit or the Aussie.

It's all about the money, bottom line. The more you pay the better the product at least whe it comes to lockers. Stay away fromt the detroit, get the aussie and save up for a real locker. Or just save up for an ARB, OX, Electrotrac or Tera's air locker just to name a few.

Hmmm I don't think I will have the time to get my rear axle and front axle done by June, so I will do the Rubi run the way my rig is setup right now. I know what you mean about the $$ thing and that's a problem: I if do it, I will be doing it right before I get new tires or right after, so I have to factor the $$ needed for that as well. Also doing the whole rear axle: new gears, new locker will require me to tear into the front at the same time as I will want to go up in gears while I'm at it and since I will have front opened up, I might as well lock that up as well..... OK... gonna go and buy me a lottery ticket today :D
Anyways, you said that since I have the noslip, I might not like the others. Any particular reason why? Would it have to do with the way they handle on the trail or on the road??

here's my 2 cents worth. :spin3: ..i'm a detroit fan...but it's true you need to be able to replace gears and lockers at the same time...i also had a 44 w/ ltd slip and swithed everything with a det and 4:56 gears. i also run a det. in my front 30. one thing about detroit....of all the repairs that are posted, i,v only heard of one...that,s only one time a detroit has broken!! I WANT RELIABILTY when wheel'in. :repair:

I'd vote Detroit, too, except that you have moderate modifications that may mean you still like to drive it in stock-like style. A Detroit will make you miserable around town if you enjoy some speed. In every other situation I'd take a Detroit rear over ARB (including all kinds of snow conditions)...but you have to modify city driving for any automatic locker (Interstate/twisties are no different than a limited slip with an auto tranny).

So...ARB if you still think your XJ is a sports car, Detroit if your bias is shifting towards offroad performance and you don't mind adapting onroad driving style to accomodate. I stayed away from automatic lockers for fear of unpredictability in bad weather (snow in the Colorado high country), but my fears were misplaced. With an auto tranny, the Detroit is much better behaved than the Auburn limited slip it replaced when the weather turns. Offroad...just put it in 4-lo and go.

Nay

if you are going with new gears at the same time get a detroit... i just installed 4.56's and a detroit in my 44 and love it... sure you have to "learn" to drive in the city, but its not that big of a deal. the new detroits are pretty quiet and like stated above the realiability and strength is quite comforting. plus factor in the cost of a compressor for the arb so your lookin at more like $800+.

Kejtar said:
Hmmm I don't think I will have the time to get my rear axle and front axle done by June, so I will do the Rubi run the way my rig is setup right now. I know what you mean about the $$ thing and that's a problem: I if do it, I will be doing it right before I get new tires or right after, so I have to factor the $$ needed for that as well. Also doing the whole rear axle: new gears, new locker will require me to tear into the front at the same time as I will want to go up in gears while I'm at it and since I will have front opened up, I might as well lock that up as well..... OK... gonna go and buy me a lottery ticket today :D
Anyways, you said that since I have the noslip, I might not like the others. Any particular reason why? Would it have to do with the way they handle on the trail or on the road??

I have mostly read and know how the Aussie operates. We both have MT's, I have gotten use to mine, but I've been told the no-slip is alot smoother.

Like I said, if your considering the Detroit go ARB. Air is not a concern, there are ways to run a small tank and fill it with a cheap compressor.

It sounds like you have time on your side, save your money for the ARB. At least for the rear. The way your setup now you will have plenty of fun! Enjoy it! Take your time and save your money. I know, I could have probably bought 10 HP D44's for the $$ I have wasted on my rig. ;)

ChuckD said:

The $500 price Kajar quoted for one axle for a Detroit would be their real locker, not the EZ locker lunch-box. There's nothing short of a spool more reliable then the Detroit locker. No air seals, lines, or switches to fail like the ARB, and Tera. The Electrax, made by Tractec that make the Detroit, has had reliablility problems in the 44 version. An Aussie is just another lunch-box. And the OX seems to have it's availability drying up from many sources.
As far as running an air locker off a small tank, don't wheel alone where you need a locker to get back out!
I've got a Detroit, ARBs, Electrax, and a Lockrite in my various rigs, and nothing beats the simplicity and reliablity of the Detroit.

if you're talking about a D44 or better, do the Aussies (if you can get them, i've heard they're majorly backordered). I wouldn't trust a D30 or 35 carrier, but D44s and better seem to be fine. I know a guy that ran a lockright in his front D44 on his YJ with 38.5x14.50 SXs for bout 2 years on Rubicon and Fordyce, he broke probably a dozen shafts, one day alone in "the box" he took out something like 5 or 6 shafts, and he never ever had a problem with the lockright.

Personally, I see 3 levels to lock the rear at depending on money:
1. weld
2. lunchbox (lockright, aussie)
3. detroit

and for the front, I see 3 options as well, again depending on money:
1. weld
2. lunchbox
3. ARB (or other selectable)

mad maXJ said:
Personally, I see 3 levels to lock the rear at depending on money:
1. weld
2. lunchbox (lockright, aussie)
3. detroit

and for the front, I see 3 options as well, again depending on money:
1. weld
2. lunchbox
3. ARB (or other selectable)
I'm not understanding your 3 choices for the front. If a lunchbox locker is acceptable, so too would be a Detroit. If a selectable is what is prefered, why would you weld?

For the front, I'd say:

1. weld - only if you have a have a beefy axle and lock out hubs.
2. lunchbox
3. Detroit
4. Selectable

Only weld the front if you can't afford a membership to the gym. You'll get a great work out when turning, especially in 4wd. I run a spool in the rear of my flattie because I've brooken 3 detroits.$$$$$$ If you break an axle under power, it will take out the side gears on the detroit too. Yes these were in a D44 too. In my XJ, I run a detroit in back (GM 12 bolt rear) and a lock rite in the front. I've been on the Hammers, Stoddard's harder trails, and generally abusive type wheeling, and these haven't given me any problems. Even with the small 4.88 gears. I don't really care for the ARB, and having to rely on o-rings and seals for providing traction, but that's just me, I guess.

Dan

Back