• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

All this weight of bumpers, rock rails, rocker panels vs lift kit

Double Down

NAXJA Forum User
If you are going to get a full blown custom front and rear steel bumper and rock rails and cover the quarters in steel diamond plate...plus I want to lift my 97 XJ 5" or so...how do I need to think?

Meaning, if I am grabbing that extra weight and then wanting to lift it 5" do I need to get different shocks, different springs, etc to maintain a good driving/offroading vehicle? From what I have been told, I was looking at doing the RE 4.5 lift which should net about 5" but do I need to buy spacers, different shocks, or anything else to compensate for the extra weight?

Thanks,

Chris (Double Down)

After I installed the RE 4.5" lift on an otherwise stock XJ, I then went from OEM front bumper to Olympic rock/winch bumper + warn M8000. This totaled about 150 lbs. of added weight in the front and I had to add 1" spring spacer to compensate from the now sagging front end. The 150 lbs dropped the front almost exactly 1". I can't speak for the rears, since I use add a leaf's and 2" lift blocks and haven't added any new weight to the rear. My engineering on spring rates is a little stale, but you should be able to take that weight-to-drop distance ratio and use it for front spring adjustment. '96 XJ Countly, 4.0L, AW4 Tranny, etc.

We're all in the same situation.....just do it. Every lift has the potential to need a little leveling out based on the particular vehicle it's going on. Shocks don't carry weight, so they aren't an issue.

Planetcat said:
After I installed the RE 4.5" lift on an otherwise stock XJ, I then went from OEM front bumper to Olympic rock/winch bumper + warn M8000. This totaled about 150 lbs. of added weight in the front and I had to add 1" spring spacer to compensate from the now sagging front end. The 150 lbs dropped the front almost exactly 1". I can't speak for the rears, since I use add a leaf's and 2" lift blocks and haven't added any new weight to the rear. My engineering on spring rates is a little stale, but you should be able to take that weight-to-drop distance ratio and use it for front spring adjustment. '96 XJ Countly, 4.0L, AW4 Tranny, etc.

If you do a 1 inch spring spacer, do you need to realign the front geometry, or should that little bit not make a difference?

The 1" spacer did not change the front end geometry. It was a pretty straight forward install.

Back