• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle pinion angle

PETEY

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed an RE 5.5 on a 90 xj, 4.0, aw4, np231. I am still waiting on my rear shaft from Tom Woods so am driving on just the front shaft.
I get a clanking sound from the front shaft that starts out slow and speeds up when accelerating. Only clanks under acceleration. I changed the all the u-joints in the front shaft.
When I installed the contral arm drop brackets, the directions said to reinstall the shims from the LCA bracket to the new bracket.
I figure that I can remove some or all of the shims and that would cause the LCA's to move back, pointing the pinion up. Can I do this without the front springs binding? There is only about 1/4 of an inch worth of those little, thin shims.

I suspect the clank may be an axleshaft u-joint, not on the driveshaft.

You've got quite a bit of caster adjustment without binding the front springs.

Are you running the stock control arms with the drop, adjustables, ?

I have this lift on my 98 and I have finally gotten the front pinion angle and control arm lengths figured out. I have the adj. uppers and I have them set at 15.25" and the lowers are non-adj. and they are set all the way back with no simms. This puts the front pinion at just about the right angle and no vibes even with the 242TC set in full-time. Not sure about the caster yet, getting alinged tomorrow, will let you know.

Read the Go Jeep web page on home alignment. After installing a 3" lift with RE
fixed LCA's I had a bad front vibration. After the do it yourself alignment it was gone. I went from two thick shims to one thin one. There are only two
thicknesses of shims available at the dealer. $4.50 for the thin one and $6.00 for the thick one.

running the uca's and lca's that came with the kit. took the shims out and helped some. not as loud now. still have a little clanking gonna check the axle u-joints. thanks

Back