• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front 4 Link Finished & Tested

Kaczman

Lurker
NAXJA Member
I finally finished the front triangulated 4 link just in time to make it to EJS (with 50 hours of wrenching in 3 days). As you know, it is a TIGHT fit, but everything just fits. I still need to tweak the rear spring rates to balance the front and rear suspensions, but overall I am extremely satisfied. Here are a few pics, and I can post some more as soon as the camera battery is recharged.

Front view and ram mount:
Ram.sized.jpg

Rear view and truss mount:
Axle.sized.jpg

Full frame view:
Flop.sized.jpg

Gettin' up Rock Pile:
Rock_Pile.sized.jpg

Uno mas... optional climb on Pritchett
Climbin.sized.jpg

It was a great test run.

-Jon

Great pics Jon!!! Glad to see it out there gettin it awn. So what's the story behind that great bottom shot? I see you used a low pinion front end. Kind of looks like a high pinion unit might not clear with the 4link front. Jeff

I am anxious to see pics of the ends of those mounts on teh body end. How do they mount up there? Are they welded onto the plating on teh frame rail? Would love some close ups of the upper mounts on the body end. Looks freakin sick! Nice work.
josh

A few answers

What had to be relocated? Anything? Is that camera ready yet???

The axle had to be moved forward about 3 inches. My wheelbase is now 108". The exhaust is in the stock location, and I made a flat crossmember/ skid plate.

Great pics Jon!!! Glad to see it out there gettin it awn. So what's the story behind that great bottom shot? I see you used a low pinion front end. Kind of looks like a high pinion unit might not clear with the 4link front. Jeff

I flopped on Yellow Hill--- the very last (and definately NOT the hardest) obstical of the trip. I tried the middle line and the rear tires slid into the hole on the right. It was definately driver error. Had I been a bit faster to reverse, I would have made it out o.k.

I would have liked to go with a reverse spiral 44, but there is no way it could fit with the driver's upper arm.

How much does it move side to side without a trac bar?

There is no side to side movement. The triangulation of the upper and lower links control lateral movement.

Does the left upper link hit the front driveline at droop?

Nope. It just clears.

Finally, here are the requested pics of the frame mounts.

The lower arms mount to the subframe, just inboard of the frame rails. You can also see one of the cage tie-ins and flat skid:
Lower_Frame_Mounts.sized.jpg

The uppers mount to 3x4 gussetted angle, and are also welded to the frame and floor:

Driver_s_Frame.sized.jpg

Pass_Frame.sized.jpg

Lookin' good.
Heh, the "hump line" on Yellow Hill can get ya if you slide one way or another. ;)

Jes

Took awhile, Jon, but it looks good. We missed you in CO last year, now maybe you can join us the next time we're out there. How about Indy, Carnage, and Montrose?

Diggin the Full Frame View:)......nice work Jon, looks good. See you next week.......

Goatman said:
Took awhile, Jon, but it looks good. We missed you in CO last year, now maybe you can join us the next time we're out there. How about Indy, Carnage, and Montrose?

Yeah, I plan on getting some good wheeling in this year. I already have vacation scheduled for the CO trip this summer.

-Jon

Weasel said:
Did you have to move the front forward to have everything fit or was it just done? Looks awesome. I love the dovetail.

Kaczman said:
The axle had to be moved forward about 3 inches. My wheelbase is now 108". The exhaust is in the stock location, and I made a flat crossmember/ skid plate.

Back