• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

?s D44 vs. 60 dilema

XJHOX

NAXJA Forum User
OK, Heres my dilema I have a HP D44 out a a 3/4 pick-up, the one w/ the bigger tubes and hubs from another project. Its already setup with a detroit and 5:38s. The brakes, seals etc. are all new it was in a show truck. I also have a D60 but its stock no locker, gears etc.would need all new hardware etc. I dont plan on running anything bigger than 38s. I'm still running a 4.0 so I dont think there is enough power to really break parts. Thoughts, comments appreciated. Thanks Jason

with 38s and stock 297 in the 44 you are going to be breaking them often I would go dana 60 for 38s unless the 44 has cromo shafts and ctm's

azxjman said:
with 38s and stock 297 in the 44 you are going to be breaking them often I would go dana 60 for 38s unless the 44 has cromo shafts and ctm's

I have a 3/4 ton dana hp44, was busting u-joints and taking out both axle shafts left and right until I saw the light and went ctms and warns....

I couldn't be happier, and I'm thinking at this point, I don't need anything heavier with 37's.....

i have to agree w/beez, i ran 37 mtrs on a wag 44 with stock parts for about 5 trips on up lower 2 at tellico before i broke something and i wasn't easy on it i can tell you that much. i'd go with the 44 since its already built. wheel it till you break the stock crap and upgrade. my.02

I have full intentions on going to a better shafts no matter which axle I end up with. Not sure about ctm's though, this thing will see alot of street driving. The closest cool place to wheel is about 2.5 hours away. I thought I seen that they dont recomend running the ctm's on the street. I was thinking of running something like the upgraded 760s from Longfield. I have the matching rear 60 w/ the detroit, gears and 35 spline axles pretty much ready to go.

XJHOX said:
I have full intentions on going to a better shafts no matter which axle I end up with. Not sure about ctm's though, this thing will see alot of street driving. The closest cool place to wheel is about 2.5 hours away. I thought I seen that they dont recomend running the ctm's on the street. I was thinking of running something like the upgraded 760s from Longfield. I have the matching rear 60 w/ the detroit, gears and 35 spline axles pretty much ready to go.

If you have lockouts then you have nothing to worry about with the CTMs, the point is that they don't recommend letting them see constant spinning, even when not in 4wd.

DUH! never even thought about it having lock out hubs! Damn I'm getting to used to these damn jeeps. There like luxury rides after you own/work on fullsize Ford's for ever.

XJHOX said:

I haven't seen where it's recommended that you don't run CTM's on the street.....where is it? I can imagine that someone might not want to run CTM's (at $150+ each) on the street if they didn't have locking hubs, but it probably won't hurt them. In 2wd there's no load on the axle joint, and the joint only turns when the vehicle turns, when driving straight the u-joint doesn't turn (cross trunion turn in the cups) at all. The Longfields will be the same thing, still a bronze bushing in the u-joint cups. Personally, I unlock my hubs to keep from spinning the front end, but I'd still rather run CTM's than Spicer u-joints, even if I didn't have locking hubs.

I'm with the others, I'd slap some Warns and CTM's in that D44 and run it.

I ran Warn shafts and destroyed them with 38.5 TSL SXs, that was the day when i decided to go D60 front and i don't regret it. I now run 39.5 Boggers and i can hammer down, lift the complete front off of the ground, come down and go on without even lifting the right foot a bit. Got 35 spline Moser shafts inners and outers and am really happy. ;)

I vote 44 with upgraded shafts. Don't see a whole lotta need for ctms either. I think the longfields would be a little more piece of mind over my regular 760's. Picked up my Warn premium hubs yesterday Goat, Happy?

OneTonXJ said:
I vote 44 with upgraded shafts. Don't see a whole lotta need for ctms either. I think the longfields would be a little more piece of mind over my regular 760's. Picked up my Warn premium hubs yesterday Goat, Happy?

no.....just means you'll be replacing u-joints now....

hubs took you 2 minutes......cause you got GOOD at it........

i hope you are at least going longfields.

remember, i don't carry tools either!

Beezil said:
i hope you are at least going longfields.

remember, i don't carry tools either!

I'll be doing my own rendition of them.

I carry the tools to fix what I break, you're the one that doesn't carry his swiss army butterknife.

You guys need to remember when you come out next Nov that JV eats axles for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.........and we like to wheel. :)

I think the Spicer axles are the biggest problem, the yokes just aren't up to the challenge. The CTM's provide great peace of mind, but the Warn axles are what really pays off.

Back