• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high oil pressure

MCD

NAXJA Forum User
for some reason when i start my jeep it reads about 77psi when cold. i recently started running penzoil 1030 instead of trop arctic 1040. with the 10 40 it was just over 40 psi cold and seldom got over 58psi at any time. i dont really know wats up since the 1030 isnt as thick shouldnt my readings be lower. i know that penzoil is wax based but i dont think the trop arctic was. i am really at a loss ,though 77 psi isnt bad just alot higher than normal. it still reads 37psi at low idle which is ok in the book. but 1000 rev and up its over 50psi.i just need some info.

Mine fluctuates sometimes. Most the time it operates at 40psi at idle ... and reaches close to 60psi above idle. Although last weekend when I was on a short jaunt on the freeway, I found it operating at 45-50psi ... then dropped to about 30-35psi at idle.

I use Valvoline 20-50 Racing Oil ... K&N oil filter. It has 155K miles and leaky rear main ... other than that, and engine temp variation, I don't know what would make it fluctuate.

The guage or sending unit ?

Mine does the same as Bchulett. it fluctuates between 38ish and 60, never gone higher than that yet... I run valvoline 10w40 maxlife... When I fix the leak I'm gunna run full synthetic but for now that would not be worth it with the leak... no matter how minor lol

Back