• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FULL FACE front bumper that replaces entire nose??

aspera

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the market for a front bumper and I really like some of the features and the wide variety of bumpers that are available for the Cherokee.

...but some of the ones that I like (Trailready, Hanson/Crawltech, ARB, and the new Warn) are pretty pricey. That's fine. I don't mind paying a premium...if I get exactly what I want. The problem is that they are sooo close, but not quite what I want.

One of the features that I like is the Prerunner bar or other bars that protect the headlights, grill, and fiberglass nose cap. I also like the Frenched foglight tunnels on the Trailready bumper. That got me to thinking.

Why not replace the whole damn front end with a bumper? Instead of trying to protect all that plastic and fiberglass, why not get rid of it?

A steel bumper that replaces the header panel, grill, headlight mounts, turn signals, etc. would make the Cherokee much more protected and look really, really mean. Hella 90mm DOT approved headlights would replace the lame 200mm sealed beam stockers. Turn signals could be sourced from semi truck parts. Even radiator cooling could be improved if the FULL FACE bumper were designed right.

Is there anything that I've overlooked? This just sounds like an obvious solution.

Road armour had a pretty hefty setup, PIA checking the oil though...

RichP said:
Road armour had a pretty hefty setup, PIA checking the oil though...

Whats road armour?

I think you might be onto something w/your idea.

Buy some steel and a welder and get to work. :D

Yeah, the TrailReady bumper is beautiful, but the price is pretty steep. I like how they have optional fog/driving light holes, but I'd rather see the same type of holes a couple of inches higher for headlights. That would give you more light down the road, protect the lenses, and keep them clean and dry.

Of course the 90mm Hella lights, available from Rallylights.com, are round. Not sure how that would look on a Jeep.:)

I'm not sure that I understand the 'checking the oil' comment. What I'm suggesting is replacing everything in front of the hood and front fenders with a big-ass bumper. That bumper would have to have mounts for the lights and have holes or slots for radiator airflow. Imagine a Trailready bumper sitting upsidedown on top of another Trailready bumper.

AJ - http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/ makes whatever the customer wants. Get some cad drawings together of your idea and ask him for a qoute....
He's not making anything right now cause of some surgery complications but I'm sure he could qoute it for ya.
Mike B.

ECKSJAY said:
Canadian for 'Road Armor.' :D

Now known as TrailReady.

:laugh2:

I kind of figured. :laugh2:

1986xj said:
AJ - http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/ makes whatever the customer wants. Get some cad drawings together of your idea and ask him for a qoute....
He's not making anything right now cause of some surgery complications but I'm sure he could qoute it for ya.
Mike B.

I put a post on his forum. I'd actually like to see what he would quote.

After thinking about it for a second, maybe the upper part should be a bolt-on. That would allow it to be added onto existing flat-topped bumpers. That would let people choose whatever options they want for the main bumper (winch, hitch, shackles).

I thought of this, even have some sketches.

I dropped it cause I was afraid the thing would end up weighing a ton. Double, maybe triple a standard bumper...

Plus, bringing the whole face forward 3-4" would give the thing a long-beak kinda profile...

Robert

TR is nice, but their stuff weighs as much as a tanker! ARB still weighs a ton, but BPI seems to be very stout and weighs a little less. thats what i recommend...

brandon

I_1BADXJ_I said:
I thought of this, even have some sketches.

I dropped it cause I was afraid the thing would end up weighing a ton. Double, maybe triple a standard bumper...

Plus, bringing the whole face forward 3-4" would give the thing a long-beak kinda profile...

Robert

...but by all means, try it! Show me up, make me say "Damn, I thought of that too, why didn't I have the nads to just do it!"

Just post pics when you do!

Robert

AJ liked my idea! :D

He also had a great suggestion about moving the radiator forward so that thicker fans could be used.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/2002-Porsche-911-GT2-Coupe-Silver-Wind-Tunnel-1280x960.htm

I like the idea of leaving a slot, or gap, between the new nose and the hood for hot air exhaust. Tilting the top of the radiator forward would improve cooling on and off road. Rally cars use this same trick to blow hot air into the low pressure area at the front of the hood. That means less hot air blowing on the engine.

As far as the grill goes, I like holes. Think Swiss cheese. :confused1 All holes not used for lighting are vent holes. It also means that you can mount lights wherever you want. You can have multiple high or low beams and still be street legal, I think. On top of that the lights would be much more protected from theft and damage than traditional offroad lights.

How about this thing?
new_01002.jpg

Billy

That's SCARY!:)

It is kind of similar to what I was suggesting, or could be. Now it you took some thin sheet metal and filled in all of the spaces between the tubes...and ditched the entire nose assembly...that would be close.

That picture give a you a good idea about how much space is available up front. Except you gain about more 4 inches when the fiberglass nose/grille/headlight junk gets removed. It's almost like getting an extra foot of engine bay.

Back