• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best exhaust for the dd

offroaddestruction said:
What header, cat, and muffler would be best for the money for my DD? its a '88 with the 4.0

I know most will dissagree with me. But a stock tubular manifold is fine! Just maybe get a new one if your is hurting. I dont know if you like loud vehicles, but I personally enjoy the quietest ride possible after having a XJ with a loud exhaust. Go with a cheap DynoMax muffler. Not to loud, but only cost like $30! And there is nothing wrong with them. Its a proven muffler design. And just make sure you stay with like 2.5" tubing or smaller. Dont think that bigger is always better. Oh and just take it as far back as possible, that way you dont hear the engine as much inside the cab. For a cat, unless its bad or something like that, its fine. If it is bad, just get a Hi-Flow cat, it will run you around 200-250 dollars. Hope that Helps!

Matt

Starboard M said:
I have the Flowmaster from Rustys off road. It was $150. It sounds a lot better then stock. I don't really notice it over the tires and music.

WOW! you got um raped?! Yea it does sound cool huh. But doesn't it get old after a weekend of crawlin?

matt

u could always go with a glasspax. I have a bluestream glasspack that sounds good and was cheap. Cherry bomb works to i juist had a little better quality on put on. just go with a high flow cat. I went to midas and have a lifetime warrantied one. id rather have free than anything else now.

yea, the flowblaster does get old...ive been sporting it for about 4 years now. im tired of it, but i want a quiet muffler that is as strong. and for the high-flow cat...summit has one that is much less than 200-250$

I'm running the dynomax ultra flow muffler and tailpipe. It helped with performance and sounds good. It isn't as loud as the flowmaster but still can be heard when accelerating. I've had both brands now and prefer the ultra flow over the 40 series by a mile.

I have a dynomax with a resonator, 2 1/2 pipe out the back...not exactly showroom quiet, but it sounds sweet... not at all raspy...on you 4.0 it would sound even better since a I-6 motor sounds better than anything with less than 10 cylinders....except maybe a V-8 with a 180 degree crank...or a straight 8, or....ok im going to bed now, the meds are kicking in... :laugh3:

a very good combo is the Banks Torque Header and their exhaust. dont member the name of the exhaust. makes good numbers. also run a K&N FIPK for more good numbers. then if u still want more you can either supercharge it, stroke it, or just add TB, and bore it a lil.

DSC00085.JPG

Oh wait, you said DD didn't you?

I have been running with a Gibson cat-back system for 3 years now with not a single complaint.
Ahead of the Gibson, everything is stock.
More power, better mileage, awesome sound.
Can is a bit big, but the rocks take care of that.
It's as tough as a Flowmaster, AFAIK.
HTH.
Hasta.

Scrappy said:
WOW! you got um raped?! Yea it does sound cool huh. But doesn't it get old after a weekend of crawlin?

matt
How did I get raped? Was that to much? After driving it every day, I'm used to it. Or it just might be my young ears : ) Some of my friends are running just a cat and thats it. You can hear them from 2 blocks away. That, to me is to loud. Plus, the cops hate them.

Back