• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

worn wiper assembly

wim hoppenbrouwers

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I have solved the problem of my worn windshield assembly (XJ92)
As follows:

the worn 3 bearings are ballstud type, one is fixed and mostly ok.
I used 3 bearings of an inline skate.
diameter 22 mm outside and 8 mm inside.

You can leave the old iron ballstuds and file or grind a pinshape of 8 mm round.
So that you can press the new bearings on the spins. A washer of 12 mm can give a support for the file and give temp protection for damage.
Remove the old plastic ballstudscups on the motorarms and soldering the new fixed bearings on it with 250 degrees celsius (welding is too hot)
Use a washer of 8 mm for distance.
The job took me about 3 hours of sweat.
Soldering bare iron goes very well with a butangastorch and softsolder 5050 and flux
The strength on the bearings is radial so the construction is ok.

Greetings Wim Hoppenbrouwers

Wow!

I guess we have it easy here in the United States. We can buy replacement nylon bushings at most auto parts stores for about $3, and the replacement takes about half an hour including removing and re-installing the wiper motor.

Your repair sounds rather ingenious. Nice work!

Now this is great information that i have needed for years! Thank you one and all!

So I called 5 local places to get the bushings. Prices from 4.99 to 16.95!

But wait, there's more! the 4.99 place said the part was recalled last June and he can't get any. The 16.99 place said that it was in a warehouse in Arizona and would take 2 days.

So I settled on 10.29 and I can pick them up tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back