• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tip's for replacing front axle universal's

mike86xj

NAXJA Forum User
my drivers side universal is making som pretty good grinding noises so i think it's time to replace it and was wondering if anyone has any tip's for me.
I have a service manual but it is pretty vauge so any help would be appreciated.

also do they make the sealed or greasable u-joints, which are better?

Thanks
Mike

I watched a service tech do mine years back- what he did astounded me. He did it completely, without removeing anything except the joint.

What he had made, was a tool specificly for removeing these joints. When I asked him about it, he said he didnt have time to go through the whole routine of removeing everything to get to it....

He used a modified C-clamp. Long sucker, actually 2 clamps welded together at the spine, with a little socket on one end, big socket on the other. Took him all of 5 minutes to the one side. He called it his favorite tool. I was going to make one, but never got around to it-seemed simple enough, but never had any need. I only roasted one in 300,000- and the replacer was a greaseable.

Ed in North Ga. said:
I watched a service tech do mine years back- what he did astounded me. He did it completely, without removeing anything except the joint.

What he had made, was a tool specificly for removeing these joints. When I asked him about it, he said he didnt have time to go through the whole routine of removeing everything to get to it....

He used a modified C-clamp. Long sucker, actually 2 clamps welded together at the spine, with a little socket on one end, big socket on the other. Took him all of 5 minutes to the one side. He called it his favorite tool. I was going to make one, but never got around to it-seemed simple enough, but never had any need. I only roasted one in 300,000- and the replacer was a greaseable.

I could see doing this only if you could work on it while it is on a lift but otherwise would kinda suck.

I just pull off the wheel, remove the three bolts holding the hub assembly and carefully pull the hub assembly and axle out as one. Throw it on the bench and attack it with a large C-clamp and appropriate sized sockets.
The u-joints I've used have been pre lubed.

yep- but Ive never been in a service area where they didnt have the vehicle on a rack-seems like second nature to them, even if its on the ground.
I bet you could do it with a good jack and stand though.

What led me to the dealer was I couldnt remove it myself- that sucker was rusted on tighty tight, and Mr Hammer wasent makeing any progress...I had just enough life left in the joint to make it to the service dept.

Back