• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rim size, with tires

wek91xj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok ive been running 32" 11.50 m/t's on my stock 7 inch wide rims... im bout to get new tires and need new rims, the new tires will be 12.50's.... should i get 8 or 10 inch wide rims?.... thanks

Both will work. The rule of thumb is tire width should not exceed rim width plus 4" but many wheelers go a bit beyond that.

The 8" rim will be better for keeping the bead seated if you air down a lot off-road. It also leaves more tire to protect the rims from obstacles. On pavement, though, the narrower rim will tend to lift the outer shoulders of the tread, and you may find that the pressure needed to keep the tread flat is softer than recommended for high speed or extended driving. The 10" rims will let the tread sit flatter at normal street pressures for better tread mileage.

Soooo, with all that in mind. I am getting ready to order some new wheels for my 97 XJ. I am going to run a 31 x 10.5 or a 32 x 11.5. Should I but the 15x8 or go 15x7?

Thanks,
Jason

15x8.

You won't want to re-use the 15x7s if (when?) you upgrade to a wider tire.

r@m

Back