• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rolled my XJ today...and I couldn't be happier

AzRick

NAXJA Forum User
Mvc-003f.jpg
Mvc-004f.jpg

Got my new XJ pretty much completly stripped, finally, and it's on the "rotisserie" :clap: That should make cleaning 250,000 miles old crusty Quaker State oil off the bottom just a bit easier, not to mention the boxing of the framerails and other underbody work. I hate welding upside-down.

Once I get the underside done, I'll be doing a cage, then get all my old drivetrain from my 91 into this one. Original plans were to do a full exocage, but I think it's gonna end up being interior only. I like to drag sheetmetal on the trail, anyway. An exo would just get in the way :)

Rick

WOW, I don't think I've ever seen an XJ quite that stripped before :D except on the cross bronx expressway after getting a flat and walking to a gas station to get a tow truck in which case it ends up looking like that in under 3 minutes minus the rotisserie.... :laugh:

Rick XTRM XJ said:
http://members.cox.net/4x4xfun1/Mvc-003f.jpg http://members.cox.net/4x4xfun1/Mvc-004f.jpg
Got my new XJ pretty much completly stripped, finally, and it's on the "rotisserie" :clap: That should make cleaning 250,000 miles old crusty Quaker State oil off the bottom just a bit easier, not to mention the boxing of the framerails and other underbody work. I hate welding upside-down.

Once I get the underside done, I'll be doing a cage, then get all my old drivetrain from my 91 into this one. Original plans were to do a full exocage, but I think it's gonna end up being interior only. I like to drag sheetmetal on the trail, anyway. An exo would just get in the way :)

Rick

Very kewl... did you make the rotisserie yourself?
Billy

Jes said:
Sweet. Is the old white one all hacked up? Remember to save that piece of sheet metal. ;)

Jes
Notice what's hanging on the wall behind the XJ in the first shot?

The white one is in XJ heaven. I took it to the local metal scrapyard, where a very mean man driving a very big crane with very big claws came by and picked it up off my trailer(leaving a couple nice deep gouges) and tossed it on a 50ft high pile of scrap metal like it was yesterdays trash. You could just barely see the front of it as I drove away. I was quite traumatized :)

I did however recieve a whopping $23.40 for 720 pounds of XJ scrap metal.

Rick

That thing is working nicely, Rick. I'm glad you posted pics, I had tried to visualize how you were going to do that....pretty slick.

I don't envy you all the work you have yet to do.......

So the white one has finally bit the dust. It should be respected forever after what you put it through. :)

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Rick,

I love the rotisserie, Where did you get it???
Also if you need any help working on the new XJ let me know I have week nights off and am always available to lend a hand.. I bet you'll be putting Flexy to work on it too..

Take it easy
DaveO

Nice work Rick!

I recall a Hot Rod article from back in the wayback, a guy was restoring a Willys coupe and they built a spit for it. <edit> IIRC that dude tied both bottom ends together with a piece of tube... be careful it don't get away from ya<edit> No better way to bring the shiny side down IMHO.

Imagine building a mobile trailer-thing...with a XJ D35 cobbled up to a spit a sprocket on the pinion and an old XJ body in twist? Kinda a flight simulator for rollover cantidates :viking:

XJFreak said:
Very nice work. Did you build the rotisserie?
Ya, I got the idea from seeing pics of a similar one on a forum. I built it from 30 ft of .188 wall 2x2 steel. Ended up with $150 invested (steel and casters).

It works great. I can spin it around 360* by myself. I spent 4 hours this weekend pressure washing the underside. I could have never done it if it wasn't on it's side.

It will be for sale when I'm done with it.

Rick

Goatman said:
That thing is working nicely, Rick. I'm glad you posted pics, I had tried to visualize how you were going to do that....pretty slick.

I don't envy you all the work you have yet to do.......

So the white one has finally bit the dust. It should be respected forever after what you put it through. :)

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

So a "slightly used, Norman-ized XJ body" is worth less than $30.00? :laugh2:

Mark Hinkley said:
So the real test question here is:

What can you buy for $23.40?

?????

hinkley

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Back