• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2WD to 4WD swap?

mopwr2u

NAXJA Forum User
is it possible to swap a 4WD unit into a 2WD rig if i had the 4WD tranny transfercase and frontend and the drivelines?
seen them at a wrecking yard.

It's all bolt in. I did mine a couple of years ago. Do a serch and you should find details when this has been previously discussed.

Just make sure to get all the linkages too from the donor vehicle right down to the center console with the lever and overlays. Never seen the inside of a 2WD so I don't know what the inside looks like, does your center console have some kind of blank filler plate where the TC selector would go or is the console itself different ?? Might even have to put a bulb in the '4wd' light on the dash too..

The center hump has a blanking plate over the cutout where the linkage mounts so you just have to take it off and the linkage bolts right in. Remember you'll also need a longer speedometer cable to extend back to the transfer case.

If/When you find a donor vehicle ask them to reserve the thing for a week or so tillyou are sure you have all the parts you need out of it. Take pictures of the donor so you can see how everything looks before it comes apart.

Depends on if they work or not doesn't it :doh: If they work it's a good price...
:D Other question I take it that yours is already a 5 speed, if not the clutch pedal hanging and stuff could be a PIA...

Seems like it'd be easier to sell your truck and get a new one with 4wd?

That's what I'd do. But then again it might be cheaper to do the install yourself. Also your probably emotionally attached to your cherokee, like most of us are.

I *heart* my XJ.

[QUNTE=ügsshon-ølc]ReemR"lije id/d be e qier to`rell yot{ truck and get a new one with 4wd?

That's what I'd do. But then again it might be âoeaper to do thõ)install yourself. Also your probably emotionally attached to your cherokee, like most of us aâl.

I@,heart* my XJ.[nSUOTE]
I agrõl, unless there is an emotional attachment or it just sounds like a fun project, it would bd muri easier and cost effective to byy a 4wd model.`)The 4wds really aren't worth much more and there's a ton out there. Ktip in mind that`uhis swñy snundr#silpleðhn theors, but tgere are so many things that could go wrong. When you get it all torn apart 9 dmmer out*of 10 you are going to find worn partspqhat need replacing and it all ads up big time. You say you can get al|"thd par{s for ä500, bud(I'd beðomazed he you coul do it#for near that price. Also, I've read some threads on this swap and itr+supposed tn bepgll bolt#on, blah blah rcah, but.I guarantee you that you are going to run into a few steps that are left ott ani ynu wîkt know WTF to do. My Fmthdr ubod to be part offer of a hot rod shop and I know first hand that most of these "simple,ànolt onr,converrlons never turn out to ra ndarlX%as simpie as planned unless you have experience doing it. Unless you are very0eechanicallx inbjined, ¨mve somômne expôpienced with thx{ at your disposal, or don't need your XJ for a while, I'd just buy a 4vg and bô,happy with it.0

Sorry tn be}ain on your pargde, I'm just trying to save you a lot of unexpected trouble. :D

I did mine as a fun project, and also to get to know my MJ a little better. Economically speaking, I'm cheap and fished around a long time to find the parts I needed, stashing them as I went along. Lined up an alternate DD to get around in for the duration of the conversion, and took my time. Agreed, one thing led to another, and I've ended up restoring other things along the way, but it's all for the better IMO. New RMS, all new rear brakes front and rear with new plumbing from the MC out, engine and TC skid, restored the floorboards, and more.....nothing that didn't need doing anyway. All told, I'm still under $400 for the whole sheebang, and am now selling off various 2WD parts I removed, furthur bringing down the project total. Of course, mine's an '87...later model parts would tend to be more $$$, I'd assume.
Bottom line to me is, if ya want to do it, do it. You'll learn ALOT about your rig, have a more functional vehicle that you can build to your specs, not what rolled off the assembly line, and a warm fuzzy feeling that you know you did it yourself. And if you screw it up, you only have yourself to blame :)
Jeff

Back