• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need instructions for installing factory transfer case skid plate

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to install factory transfer case skid plate. It looks like it fits only one way. It looks like it needs some kind of sell tapping bolt on one end, and nuts and bolts on the other.

How many self tapping bolts do I need, and how many holes do I need to drill for them. What size self tapping and what size nuts and bolts do I need.
Or am I way off on this.

Any other instructions will be useful.

I don't have the instructions any more, but the installation for the factory tcase skid came with three 1/2 inch nutserts. If you hold the skid up under the tcase and move it around, you will find two holes on the rear edge of the tcase crossmember and one hole on the "frame" rail on the driver's side that line up with holes in the skid plate.

Aren't familiar with nutserts, they are like a huge rivet that has a threaded nut in the center. They are designed to be installed with a custom (expensive) tool that looks like a large pop-rivetter, but some people report success at using a couple of nuts, liberal lubrication, and two wrenches to tighten the nutsert.

Here's a write-up that has nothing to do with Cherokees, but explains how to install the nutsert and how it looks after install.

www.ohiomotorcycle.com/understeer/xbrace.shtml

Once you get them in use PLENTY of Anti-seize on those bolts that go into the nutcerts so you can get them out again. If they break loose from their grip on the frame rails they can be a SOB to remove. As a rule you should have one of those big cans of anti-seize and anytime you remove an outside or engine compartment bolt or nut put anti-seize on it when reinstalling. It makes life so much easier a year or two down the road...

I think the best place to install the factory t-case skid is in the classifieds under Farm Implements: Plow.
Get one that tucks up nice and tight instead.

Back