• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto Tranny in a 2000

The_Rock

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 2000xj with a auto tranny with tranny cooler that I would like to tow a 3000lb trailer with. I had no luck searching the post for information on later model auto trannies. What tranny does this year XJ have? Will it hold up to towing? Any info on this tranny and what I need to do to keep it alive. When I tow I will run 4:10s and 31s and off road I will run 4:10s and 33s.

I tow with my '96 AW4 auto, 4.0L, OEM towing package, etc. My boat/trailer weigh in at about 3500 lbs and the jeep is usally loaded down with gear for another 500 lbs or so. I have no problems towing as far as power and tranny go. I leave it in 3rd gear most of the time to avoid a lot of shifting. I have 32" tires, used to run 4.10's, which towed fine, but then went to 4.56's which tow even better. The XJ is rated to tow up to 5,000 lbs, so I wouldn't worry about it much. It did overheat in 95+* weather going up to the sierra's though, but that was due to a chronic overheating problem, not any lack of towing ability.

It's the same AW4 as used in all XJs. 31s with 4.10 gears is slightly more gear (overall) than stock tires with 3.55 gears.

The XJ with automatic and external tranny cooler is rated to tow 5000 pounds. Keep it in 3rd gear when towing.

Back