• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5" Lift + Bushwackers = What size tires??

96XJCLASSIC

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently at 4.5" of lift and was wondering if i put on bushwacker pocket flares if i could run 33's without any additional lift?? I know the fenders have to be trimmed to mount the bushwackers but am unsure if i could clear 33's without rubbing.

dennisuello said:
you should be able to run 33s with some bumpstops

Definately.

I ran 33x11.50s (285/75 16s) with 4.5" and BWs and I only rubbed on my rear bumper and the side of the coil tower. That's with factory bumpstops and I hadn't trimmed the entire amount given in the BW instructions(I trimmed the flares some too, so that they matched up with the body since I didn't wanna break the pinch seam). I think you'll be fine with 33s and minimal bumpstopping. I'd be tempted to run 34s if you trim the entire amount BW says to.

Ary

96XJCLASSIC said:
I am currently at 4.5" of lift and was wondering if i put on bushwacker pocket flares if i could run 33's without any additional lift?? I know the fenders have to be trimmed to mount the bushwackers but am unsure if i could clear 33's without rubbing.

You'll definately be able to clear 33's with the 4.5" lift, maybe even 35" with aggresive cutting/hacking. 33's should clear better, but the bushwacker flares do require you to cut up the body so you will have the wheel well opening room, but might need to bump it up a tad with a spacer kit to run the 35's. I run 35's on 5-1/2 re lift with 2" booster kit and no flares.

So with just the amount of trimming required for the Bushwackers should be enough for me to run the 33's?? I am thinking about 33x10.5's so that should help out even more right??
Here is my story I am being cheap (not cause i wanna be, but cause college has me strapped) and want to run 33's but don't wanna add more lift for fear of needing an SYE. I have NO vibes now and am afraid that if i add shackles and a spacer i will need a sye, which is not in my budget now. SO trimming and bushwackers should eliminate the need for the SYE, until inchitus strickes again. And hopefully when it does i will have more $$$$$.

Last edited:
I would go with at least a 12.5 33 not the 10 the BW flairs stick out alot and easly cover them . I ran 33 MTRs on 4" and TJ flairs and minimal bumpstops and it was fine.

I don't think you'll like the BWs with 33x10.50s. I took my BW's off because I couldn't stand how wide they were. They stick out a solid 4" past the body and unless you run minimal backspacing the wheels really tuck up under them and make the Jeep look top heavy in my opinion.

for 33x10.50's you should be fine with the 4.5" and minimal trimming with proper 4.5" bs on 15x8 wheels.

no need for BW or TJ flares for the tire and lift.

Back