• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire on oem roof rack

Miah

NAXJA Forum User
I put a spare tire on my oem roof rack, it bounces and makes a ton of noise when I hit bumps, its really bad in the woods... Is there a way to lock the cross bars from bouncing up and down?
Thanks

Just lay the tire on the roof itself and snug the cross bars against both sides of it and then fasten the tire to the bars with a ratchet strap or cargo tie down. I did it for about 3 months. I had a 31x10.5 TrXus up there no probs. Just be prepared for your MPG to go down. (n)

I thought about doing that but was a little worried about it damaging my roof, if some gravel/mud/dirt got under there it might rub the paint off. Did you have any problems like that?
Thanks

Miah,

You might damage your roof. I had my 88 XJ in an accident and for a while considered taking the total out money vs fixing it. I looked at a 2001 XJ and was suprised to see they changed it over time.

On my 88 XJ I have stainless bars between the side rails. Each bar has a rubber insert to protect the cargo. With the 88 style rack you cargo stays a min of 1/4 or 3/8 inch off the roof. Also the stainless bars redistribute the weight over the entire roof.

On your XJ I believe the bars between the side rails as just plastic held on with 2 sided sticky tape. It might hold the cargo up 1/32 of an inch.

My owner's manual says I can carry 200 lbs on the roof of my XJ, what does your manual say?

I am not sure what to tell you but you may want to pull off your spare and examine the roof. See if you have any metal bending due to the weight of your spare tire. Sounds like you could have paint damage with the tire so close to the paint.

There is a lot of aftermarket stuff out there, sure you could find something that will do the job for you!

img13.jpg

This is how I have it currently, the cross bars that it's strapped to have some give so when you hit bumps it bounces and makes a racket. It doesn't do any damage as it is now, its only really annoying... I almost think that there is a set screw or something that will tighten that up...

I wouldnt mount it up there at all without a carrier or a rack, imagine what happens if your in a wreck or hit something offroad and that SOB flys off of there. :doh:

Miah said:
img13.jpg

This is how I have it currently
Why not use the Yak bars you have fore and aft of the tire? Lose the factory flexers completely and attach the tire to the much stronger aftermarket crossbars?

I put my canoe on the yakima rack. Its nice because the tire on the eom rack sits inside the canoe really well. I keep the tire forward so that it sits just behind the shoulder yoke on my canoe, works well, the tire just makes a ton of noise.

that seems like alot of trouble for a stock size spare.... whats in the cargo area that it wont fit?? that must be a 225 or 235 right? look in the forsale forum, there was a mopar carrier in there for sale.... i am not a fan of the "tie down" method either.. that would rip your cross bars right off in a head-on collision...

mike

Good point about the spare inside; you can squeeze most 30s in there; if you don't have the parts I can dig them up from my garage this weekend.

I usually keep it inside during the winter months ect, it is only only a stock spare so most of the time its no problem. Its just nice when i'm out hunting and fishing to have that little bit of extra room.. especially if i am camping in the back. I think that I will get some sort of aftermarket rack or leave it in the back, instead of riggin it.. Thanks alot for the input,
Miah

I have a 32x11.4 on my 1999 XJ's OEM rack. I had the same problem with the cross bars flexing a lot. Then I placed two ratcheting tie down straps diagonally across the top of the tire. I looped the hooks through the handles where the crossbars lock into the rails. I then ratcheted the straps down tight to take up all the flex in the cross bars. Everything sits very snugly now.

I hope this helps,
-Brian

Miah said:
I put a spare tire on my oem roof rack, it bounces and makes a ton of noise when I hit bumps, its really bad in the woods... Is there a way to lock the cross bars from bouncing up and down?
Thanks

Back