• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yj Steering

xjspyder

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all my fellow XJers,I was wondering if any of you guys have or are runnin the YJ steering linkage?I have been tryin to decide on a budget concious steering up grade.Any help willbe greatly appreciated

thanx XJSPYDER

I tried it for a short time, and it sucked. The inverted T steering (YJ style) depends on the drag link being faily close to parellel with the tie rod. On a YJ it is, even with a lift. On a lifted XJ, the drag link is at a pretty good angle relative to the tie rod, so the tie rod is rotated up and down before any force goes to steer the rig, causing a dead spot in the steering. Additionally, stock YJ steering isn't very strong, and it sits lower than XJ linkage. You can counter the tendancy to roll by offsetting the tie rod ends slightly, but there isn't any advantage to run YJ linkage over XJ linkage.

Hey Goatman thanks for the info.Any body else got any ideas?I DO NOT like the way the front tires wear. I'm at 6 inches of lift.I'd really like a crossover type linkage.

xjspyder said:
Hey Goatman thanks for the info.Any body else got any ideas?I DO NOT like the way the front tires wear. I'm at 6 inches of lift.I'd really like a crossover type linkage.

The type of steering you have shouldn't have anything to do with tire wear. Any of them can be aligned properly. If you wheel much, the alignment should be checked regularly. Either get a lifetime alignment from a shop who offers one, or learn how to do it yourself at home......it's pretty easy.

Last edited:
Back