• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheromanche

Trail Blazer

NAXJA Forum User
i need links to photos of people that have done the Cheomanche Conversion. i have the back half of an MJ cab, but the photos i've seen so far just show what they did on the outside of the XJ (cuts, welds). I need info of how much to cut off the INSIDE of the MJ cab, or what not to cut away. Any and all links would be great! :) Thanks :)

Ummm, this IS the mod forum...

Jared:patriot:

Have you tried a search of the forum yet?

Here's a couple of pics if they help. You need enough cab to go to the floor of the XJ, and the MJ cab is longer than that. I don't remember for sure, but I think there is a seam in the back of the cab at that spot. Just cut it low and then trim it to fit.

standard.jpg

Yeah, there's a lip on the MJ cab where it fits together.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Best pic I have of the inside.

standard.jpg

How the back turned out.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Goatman,

Where did you get the lights? Also, what size tires are those and what is the backspacing?

Lately it seems that everytime that I find a thread with something really cool that Goatman's in there somewhere. Wanna move to TN?

Robert

It's cool enough, but I have to ask - why? Is it just for the "gotta be different" factor? Or is it like 2 zillion pounds lighter or stiffens the uniframe or just waaaay too much time on your hands or...?

Jared :huh:

Buck Jackson said:
I don't think so, rolling your rig with or without the Cheromanche "conversion" will still result in trashed truck eh?
Buck
no dorkie, the point is, goat already trashed his truck.

he coulda repaired it, or converted it....

he chose to convert it.

I did mine because I was bored, never did any body work before....

lookie, you don't NEED a reason....

if you hafta ask "why" you are thinking about it too hard....

trailblazer, are there any specific pics that would help you?

I have a million pics, and these guys are sick of looking at them.....so.....choose wisely.

Beezil is wrong... We are never sick of his pics!! Every time I look at my XJ I want to cut it, and tube it.

Beezils XJ is awesome.

Greddy

DeadEyeJ said:
It's cool enough, but I have to ask - why? Is it just for the "gotta be different" factor? Or is it like 2 zillion pounds lighter or stiffens the uniframe or just waaaay too much time on your hands or...?

Jared :huh:

Well, OK, I'll bite. Something about a stupid question deserves a stupid answer...... :jester: :D

The pic shows part of why, but that just moved the timing up, I would have done it anyway. The pic also shows why there is a partial exo cage with a roof halo. I could roll in the same way now and not do any damage, since the cage would take the hit.

The reason for cutting down the back is mostly for better clearance and partly for lighter weight. I was close to taking out my rear side windows too many times to count, one time I even scraped off a sticker (SoCalXJ) that was on the window but didn't get the window. Now I don't have to worry about the side windows, hatch, D pliiars or rear of the roof, or the tail lights (which I took out regularly). Plus, the departure angle is much better. For what I do, it's a great design.

The spots I've been into since I did the conversion would have taken out the window and D pillar/hatch many, many times.

Goatman

what size tubing did you use for your interior cage? I'm going to have mine re-done......mine is the 2" tubing (overkill, and very heavy). I'd like to have mine tie into the roof, and have a roof rack that ties into those spots.

Hey Goat,
Thanks for the stupid answer. I didn't realize that you had shorteded the rear of the XJ, that makes a lot of sense. I never have had the problem with taking out rear glass and D pillars. My XJ's have all been alot more daily driver/family cruiser than yours. Looks good. Trailblazer, you ought to do it like Richard's. If I were determined to make one like it, I think I'd find a 2 door and coil the rear and do some SERIOUS rear overhang chopping. Plus, the longer rear "bed" would make it alot more useful. Of course then, why not just get an MJ? Oh yeah, cause there seem to be less than a dozen for sale in the northern hemishpere...

XJWheelie said:
Goatman,

Where did you get the lights? Also, what size tires are those and what is the backspacing?

Lately it seems that everytime that I find a thread with something really cool that Goatman's in there somewhere. Wanna move to TN?

Robert

The lights are pop in trailer lights......cheap. Tires are 35's on 15x8 Champion beadlocks with standard aftermarket wheel backspacing, I think 3.25".

Thanks for the nice comment.......I'm real happy in CA, lots of desert and mountain wheeling. :wave1:

Re: Goatman

Trail Blazer said:
BTW, anyone have any detailed shots of the ROOF, and the seams where you welded the two ends together?

what size tubing did you use for your interior cage? I'm going to have mine re-done......mine is the 2" tubing (overkill, and very heavy). I'd like to have mine tie into the roof, and have a roof rack that ties into those spots.

The MJ roof is taller than the XJ roof, so the XJ roof goes all the way to the back, then the MJ cab is joined at the back corner. The side of the MJ cab is joined to the XJ roof at the drip rail.

My exterior C pillar hoop is 1.75", everything else is 1.5". The interior cage is tied to the body at all three pillars, A, B, and C, so my thought is that I can get away with smaller tube because the body adds triangulation. Hopefully, I'll never have to find out if this is a good or bad idea. :)

DeadEye, I have wanted to do an MJ....make it a quasi buggy with a small flat bed....but then I got grandsons. I figured I'm going to want to take them with me, especially on camping runs like Dusy and Rubicon, and to Moab and CO, so I decided that keeping the four door would work best for me. I always run with the back seat bottom out and the back folded down, but I can use the back seat when I want to.

I know the back of mine looks really stubby, but it's partly because I kept the back seat. It's only shorter in the back by the width of the hatch and tail lights. The bumper is tucked in closer because of this, plus the design of the tube bumper adds a lot of clearance.

standard.jpg

Re: Goatman

Goatman said:
DeadEye, I have wanted to do an MJ....make it a quasi buggy with a small flat bed....but then I got grandsons. I figured I'm going to want to take them with me, especially on camping runs like Dusy and Rubicon, and to Moab and CO, so I decided that keeping the four door would work best for me.

I understand completely. The reason I looked for a 4 door is mainly because car seats would be awful to deal with in a 2 door. I got 1 kid so far and the wife says probably 4 more coming...:eek:

I guess that's why the chop isn't really an option for me, I need all the interior room I can get. That being said, I have a chopped XJ in my driveway, un-roofed behind the c pillars. I bought it for parts, but I'm thinking of making it into a street illegal rock machine. I'd like to put a couple buckets or a YJ rear seat in the very back and have an open rear 7 seater.

Anyway, I'll quit hijacking this thread now. Nice lookin rig Goat. Good luck trailblazer!

Back