• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 xj Pioneer (long)

jb98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting an 89 xj super cheap, and I am turning it into a trail rig. I have a 98 xj, but I know there a lots of differences. Do 89's have a disco front axle? Also, it seems to have a hard time coming back out of 4 wheel drive, (242 selec-trac) how should I check the vaccum to see if there is a problem. If the vaccum checks out, what else should I check? Also, I am considering around 5" or 6" of lift total, can I get away with a t-case drop, or will I need to get an sye? Any help will be great, I can't wait to get started!!

I ran with just a t drop on my 87 with about 7 inches- clear 33's well. No vibes. Just xtend the shaft abit... My wifes 88 pioneer is real hard to pop into 4x. It always works just feels and sounds weird. I think i need to make sure the linkage and bushings are all good on the tcase shifter......

i think theres an adjustment on the shifter linkage.... but just a thought, you just bought it? are all the tires the same size? that'll make em bind up in a heartbeat...

I have a 89 XJ and you will neither need a SYE or a t-case drop with 6" Lift, just get your driveshaft lengthened. Hard shifting out and in of the t-case results from years on the pavement without shifting out of 2WD. The hard shifting will go away the more you use it.

I wasn't very clear on part of my original post. I believe the linkage to the 4 wheel drive is fine, it shifts fine, but when I shift it out of 4 wheel drive it stays in for awhile. I know on my 98 if I stop and shift it out of 4x4, and then shift the transmission to neutral, it comes right out, but that didn't work on this, that is why I'm thinking the is something wrong with the vaccum.

jb98xj, as JEEPZZ posted, your 242 equipped '89 XJ does not use a vacuum disconnect -- The 242 shifter is less-direct acting that the 231's shifter (due to the nature of the fulltime/partime 4wd modes), having the vehicle drop out of 4wd will occaisionally take some time ...

Especially if the tires aren't the same size, if it hasn't been regularly exercised, if the fluid hasn't been properly maintained... etc.

Does your '98XJ have a NP242 t-case? You're probably comparing apples to oranges here.

Your '89 does NOT have a vacuum system for it's 4wd.

Ok, that's for the clarification. My 98 also has a 242. I think the tires are all the same size, I will have to check that. I haven't even picked it up yet, I should have it by this weekend. I am going to changes all of the fluids, and check everything out really well then. thanks for all the help. I'm sure I will have a ton more questions once I start the buildup!

getting fresh fluid in the case helps with slow shifing. Most of the jeeps I have bough had very little fluid even in the case. Seems like on of those things that people never check.

Back