• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going to 4.5"..

xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
It's a 1987 XJ Wagoneer. How do I determine if I will need to shim the rear axle? I have read a bit about taking some pinion measurements (and I have a magnetic angle dealie at my disposal), but I don't quite understand how the angles should compare to one another.

There's a D44 and an NP242 with a non-disco D30.

Will I have any problems in the front end?

I will be installing 4.5" leaf packs, 3" coils w/ spacers, fixed LCAs and YJ (or, is it CJ?) brake lines..

I have already installed a new trackbar and bracket. All the TRE's are new OEM replacements, including the drag link. The hubs (Q-tec) and axle u-joints (Spicer 760) are relatively new (less than 2 years old) Both drive shafts have new u-joints (Spicer).

Should I install MJ shackles? Should I be concerned with the UCAs?

I have already taken this apart last summer to install the 2" BB. So, it should come apart pretty easily. Any tips on what other equipment I should have on hand prior to install (whether I use it, or not) would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
KG

xjwoody said:
It's a 1987 XJ Wagoneer. How do I determine if I will need to shim the rear axle? I have read a bit about taking some pinion measurements (and I have a magnetic angle dealie at my disposal), but I don't quite understand how the angles should compare to one another.

There's a D44 and an NP242 with a non-disco D30.

Will I have any problems in the front end?

I will be installing 4.5" leaf packs, 3" coils w/ spacers, fixed LCAs and YJ (or, is it CJ?) brake lines..

I have already installed a new trackbar and bracket. All the TRE's are new OEM replacements, including the drag link. The hubs (Q-tec) and axle u-joints (Spicer 760) are relatively new (less than 2 years old) Both drive shafts have new u-joints (Spicer).

Should I install MJ shackles? Should I be concerned with the UCAs?

I have already taken this apart last summer to install the 2" BB. So, it should come apart pretty easily. Any tips on what other equipment I should have on hand prior to install (whether I use it, or not) would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
KG

Everything looks good, just get it aligned or go to GoJeeps website for info on doing your own alignment. Make sure you extend your brake lines. On the rear, the output from the tcase and the pinion on the axle should be parallel. You may need to add a Tcase drop, but don't get one unless you do get vibes. Then try to diagnose than later.

I am still fuzzy on the parallel thing. Does this mean the the pinion should be level? Or perhaps pointed in the direction of the output shaft..? The output shaft is always parallel with the ground, correct..?

I am missing something here.. No doubt about it.

drvangle_sm.jpg

xjwoody said:

Thanks,
KG

When I installed my 4.5" kit I put 4* shims in as well as a t-case drop kit. I thought the noise I was hearing (little bumping and small bangs) was just suspension movement. It was more noticable during left turns for whatever reason.....Turns out it was the slip-yoke slapping around. Recently(January) went to 5.5" R.E. , last week added an A.A. SYE with High Angle ds....no noise. no vibes. no worries. Long story short......you are going to that magical lift size......right on the edge of really needing to go SYE.
As far as equipment....impact, spring compressor, torque wrench and lotsa patience. Search the forum for alignment specs and do some reading on DW and causes/effects so as to avoid problems.
As johnjohn always says......"lifts are made for everybody's Jeep, 'cept yours." Have fun!!!!!!
:cheers: :cheers:

Back