• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

converting a '96 ZJ booster and MC and prop valve.

BUCKYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
alright I decided to use all the ZJ stuff. and gonna use some compression fittings on the brake lines. I will also have to use a '96 XJ brake light switch modified to work with the earlier XJ. So I will be doing this by this weekend and will keep updates on this thread. Any questions anyone needs answered let me know
DIG IT!

I don't think you should use compression fittings on a brake system. I doubt they're capable of handling that kind of pressure. There's a reason the manufacturers use flare fittings.

nope no update. I have been tearing apart my parts rig. DIG IT!

Compression fittings DON'T hold up to use on brakelines.

I used one for a temporary fix once (far from home, and my flaring tool) on my old dodge
it didn't make it all the way home

well its in finally went with the ZJ booster, master cylinder and prop valve.

few tips The ZJ only has two lines (one front and one rear) going into the prop valve, and the XJ has three (two fronts and one rear. Where the other front line goes into the prop. valve there is a cap just unscrew it and screw in the one off your XJ prop.

Also I havn't rigged up a stop light switch yet the stock one wont work. I just gotta bleed the brakes and test it out I will update later today.
DIG IT!

alright I halfassed bleed the brakes and it already stops a ton better than the old set up. Also I did not use compression fittings I just bent the stock lines that came with the ZJ setup.
I will update tomorrow with more info after I bleed them better.
DIG IT!

so, was the only modifcation you had to make besides bending the lines were to drill out the rod so you could get a spacer in it?

I didn't end up drilling out the hole I am just gonna try to retro fit a '95 brake light switch on it. see if that works and I will let you know. DIG IT!
Also you will have to move your windshield washer resivor thing because of the bigger booster takes up all the room almost to the air box.

Is the 96 ZJ one bigger than the 96 XJ one? I know that the 96 XJ ones are bigger than the earlier ones but not sure if the ZJ ones are bigger again?

Can you please post some pictures? I have, what appears to be a ZJ booster, and I was wondering what else is needed to fit it in the XJ. Mine has what appears to be an electrical connector. Here is the booster I have:

booster03.jpg

Anyone has any idea how I could check the booster to make sure it is OK, before investing in a MC?

Tnx and regards
-------
John SV1CEC

Back