• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Recall Question?

JeepSC

NAXJA Forum User
1990 XJ Limited 164,000 miles

Taking Jeep in tomorrow to dealership for the 702 brake recall and having it checked out. The "check anit-lock" light came on the other morning and stayed on. And the ABS pump ran almost everytime pedal was pressed. I turned off and on the motor a few times, and it finally settled down. This is the second time its done this in the last year and I'm worried about it. My question:

since im goin to dealership, (something I never had needed to do) do I need to revert back to stock parts, ie take out my K&N filter , remove 33's tires? I wouldn't think that this matters since its not a warranty issue.

I am hoping the dealership will replace all three parts; being the MC(actuator), ABS pump and most likely the accumulator(may have to pay for this last part? anyone know price?). Sounds about right?

JeepSC said:
since im goin to dealership, (something I never had needed to do) do I need to revert back to stock parts, ie take out my K&N filter , remove 33's tires? I wouldn't think that this matters since its not a warranty issue.

I am hoping the dealership will replace all three parts; being the MC(actuator), ABS pump and most likely the accumulator(may have to pay for this last part? anyone know price?). Sounds about right?

Much of that early Bendix ABS system is under an unlimited lifetime warranty, courtesy of the Federal government. I don't recall which parts are covered and which are not (doesn't affect me 'cause I don't have one) but a search farther back in the OEM Tech forum should turn up some info. It has been discussed.

Get used to these parts going out. The system isn't very reliable at all, hence the recall. It seems that the most recent batch of remanufactured recall parts have been failing quite regularly. Recently, we went through 4 ABS pumps before getting a good one that would last for more than a few days. The pump and actuator are covered for a lifetime. Tha accumulator is not covered. I would definately recommend buying the accumulator if they say you need it. If this part goes bad, it can contribute to frequent ABS pump failures. The pump should only run after you press the brake pedal 3 times, if the accumulator is working correctly. The rest of the system must be in good working order for them to be able to test it. Not sure how much the part is, but I know we charge 1hr labor to replace it.

As far as removing the tires or your air filter, don't bother. These parts have no effect on the parts of the ABS system that are recalled.

Bryan

Thank you for the replies. I hope I don't get worse parts than I already have. Not very comforting knowing that you have had 4 ABS pumps, some only lasting you a few days. We shall see.

Back