• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please tell me there is an easier way..

RINGKONG

NAXJA Forum User
Is there an easier way(with out ripping it out :D) to remove the front fenders?

do I have to take the front off before I can get to the 3 or 4 torx bolts off on the front part of the fender?

or I am Screwed? :D

Last edited:
RINGKONG said:
Is there an easier way(with out ripping it out :D) to remove the front fenders?

do I have to take the front off before I can get to the 3 or 4 torx bolts off on the front part of the fender?

or I am Screwed? :D
You can access everything from either inside the door jamb, behind the turn signals or under the hood. Very easy. Just take your time to locate everything.

Biovore said:
You can access everything from either inside the door jamb, behind the turn signals or under the hood. Very easy. Just take your time to locate everything.

ahhh... behind the turn signals.... goooooood to know!

thanks alot :D

There are two bolts per side that go through the front edge of the fender into what officially is called a header. Really it is the fiberglass surrounding the grill. You can reach the bolts from the wheel well with a long extension. If I remember right they are 10mm. Actually, in some years they were a bolt, and in others they were a nut.

What year??? On my 86 I had to take out the 4 bolts that hold the header panel to the rad support to get enough room to get the old one off, mine was tweaked a bit though. The 2 nuts that held the fender to the header were the worst, watch yourself the edges of the fender are sharp and the space is a bit tight between the inner fender to get in there. I broke off almost all of the studs that mount the flare, you might get lucky though...
Mike B.

1986xj said:
What year??? On my 86 I had to take out the 4 bolts that hold the header panel to the rad support to get enough room to get the old one off, mine was tweaked a bit though. The 2 nuts that held the fender to the header were the worst, watch yourself the edges of the fender are sharp and the space is a bit tight between the inner fender to get in there. I broke off almost all of the studs that mount the flare, you might get lucky though...
Mike B.

On my 87 MJ there were 2 nuts on each fender that fit studs on the front fender edge...but you SHOULD be able to get them off by just removing the side running lamp lens, or maybe the entire bezel, but defenitely not the whole front clip.

Mine is a 84.

I will try again tonight.

thanks for your help.

I bought this cherokee for $420..it lived its life if georgia, so there is no rust. the drivers sided fender looks like someone hit it with a forktruck.. the two dents, one one the bumper cap and one by the door, the door hits it when it opens.. I think I will sink about a grand into it.. and run it tell it dies, like my 87, except it was murdered by a lexus.. :bawl: :laugh:

I remember now why I took the header panel loose, it gave me enough room to reach the top 2 of the 4 torx (t27 I think) that bolt the rad support to the fender. Those 4 torx will take the bulk of your time, you'll need a fairly fine toothed rachet, I only got about 2-3 clicks worth of movement each swing. I used a 1/4" drive short rachet with a 1/4" socket with a t27 bit in the socket. I did have the bumper off as well, I'm not sure if the bumper might interfere with easy access or not. The new nice straight fender went on real easy though.
Mike B.

RINGKONG said:
Mine is a 84.

I will try again tonight.

thanks for your help.

I bought this cherokee for $420..it lived its life if georgia, so there is no rust. the drivers sided fender looks like someone hit it with a forktruck.. the two dents, one one the bumper cap and one by the door, the door hits it when it opens.. I think I will sink about a grand into it.. and run it tell it dies, like my 87, except it was murdered by a lexus.. :bawl: :laugh:

Another 1984 in the group! Welcome to the "oldest Cherokees club", I think the members are just Ghost and me, now we are three.

Oh, did you get the chance to shoot the Lexus back? Criminals should be shot, you know, and killing an XJ is more than criminal action (OT, but what the ....).

Rgds
---------
John SV1CEC

SV1CEC said:
Another 1984 in the group! Welcome to the "oldest Cherokees club", I think the members are just Ghost and me, now we are three.

Oh, did you get the chance to shoot the Lexus back? Criminals should be shot, you know, and killing an XJ is more than criminal action (OT, but what the ....).

Rgds
---------
John SV1CEC

well I got $2500 for my 87 and I bought my 87 back for cheap..from his insurance company.. :D

to bad nothing on the drive train is interchangeable except the axles.. :D

I have to replace the 2wd version of the ax5 the previous owner put in it and restore it to its previous 4wd glory.. :D but the body is straight... :D

1986xj said:
I remember now why I took the header panel loose, it gave me enough room to reach the top 2 of the 4 torx (t27 I think) that bolt the rad support to the fender. Those 4 torx will take the bulk of your time, you'll need a fairly fine toothed rachet, I only got about 2-3 clicks worth of movement each swing. I used a 1/4" drive short rachet with a 1/4" socket with a t27 bit in the socket. I did have the bumper off as well, I'm not sure if the bumper might interfere with easy access or not. The new nice straight fender went on real easy though.
Mike B.

Hey, I went to your website... where did you buy a $45 fender?????

:D

RINGKONG said:
Hey, I went to your website... where did you buy a $45 fender?????

:D

Local place called Christys auto body supply, it's one of those made in tiawan ones. Probably the same one that 4wd.com is selling for 99.95. It fit up easy only mod I had to make was to zip off the 2 studs (and drill the one out). I guess since it was for 84-01 some newer models have the stud from the fender into the header instead of the other way around like mine is. I figured since as soon as it was mounted I was going to hack it up to fit the front bumper I might as well get the cheap one so I wouldn't feel bad if I screwed it up :roll:
Mike B.

Back