• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yes officer, my bumpers ARE legal....

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
Well, after receiving a $145 ticket for my bupers being 4" over the legal limit, I got to work on building one taht would make me legal again and still look alright. Here was the finaly result. Heavy as balls, but looks ok and is easy to remove for wheeling.
MVC-075F.jpg

MVC-073F.jpg

MVC-070F.jpg

MVC-077F.jpg

My rear is noticeably heavier now, but I suppose that is to be expected! What a pain in the butt project. I also ground off all the rust on my original bumper and truckbed lined it. Hopefully it wont rust as much now. Next is the rock rails. Werd.

Might be time for a police officer to get a life! Tennessee doesn't even require fenders. I've got a friend that has a tube frame, no bumpers, no fenders and in TN it's street legal. Registered it as a Jeep Kaiser using a VIN and title from a salvage yard for $50.

Robert

I like it. The bumper extension that is, not the law or officer. The mounting system and removability look like a good approach.

Did you have to do the same for the front ????

that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard of! the officer that is! he was probably having a crappy day. the ext. looks clean though, good work

brandon

law is the law no matter what it is.

I supose the guy that bombs the local bowling alley figures it's okay also and doesn't know why he is arrested.

How would you feel if one of your loved ones rear ended a vehicle with a high bumper and was killed where a lower bumpr could have saved their lives?

I donno, I guess it's the Law Enforcement officer comming out in me :patriot:

I didnt have to do the same to the front, I am at about 26" at its tallest point, so I am realy close.
I understand the law, I had a lady rearend me in her honda when I had my big Bronco and it messed her hood up bad. If she was goin fast I coulda goten into her windshield easy.

Only in America!

Wow, and I thought Ontario was full of lousy laws....lol

here in Ontario the Ministry wanted to make bumper law hieghts, but that has been on the books since 1973 and is going nowhere at all....what a joke, I will be moving up to the Northwest Territories in a couple of years and so far they rock!, no safety's or emission testing and the plates are $5 plus you need only $50,000 in liablity insurance!!! so far so good, and they also have the worlds most destinctive licence plate...plus none of the foolish cash cow laws that are meaningless......

GQ

Re: Only in America!

G.Q. Jeeper said:
Wow, and I thought Ontario was full of lousy laws....lol

here in Ontario the Ministry wanted to make bumper law hieghts, but that has been on the books since 1973 and is going nowhere at all....what a joke, I will be moving up to the Northwest Territories in a couple of years and so far they rock!, no safety's or emission testing and the plates are $5 plus you need only $50,000 in liablity insurance!!! so far so good, and they also have the worlds most destinctive licence plate...plus none of the foolish cash cow laws that are meaningless......

GQ

Yeah, but I doubt you have to worry about high-impact collisions either cuz the roads aren't paved. ;)

wow, thats crazy....i live in az and so far havent had any problems...As a matter of fact I see rather large trucks with at least 20" of lift driving around all of the time! Ever thought of moving? hehe

mark268 said:
law is the law no matter what it is.

How would you feel if one of your loved ones rear ended a vehicle with a high bumper and was killed where a lower bumpr could have saved their lives?

I donno, I guess it's the Law Enforcement officer comming out in me :patriot:

Granted, I would feel the loss of a loved one in such a case, but studies show that most drivers tend to give vehicles with high bumpers more distance between them for the same reason, in some case preventing accidents..
Also, here in Illinois, it's the person committing the rear ending that is at fault...by not having enough space to safely stop or going too fast in case of an emergency stop.(does "too fast for conditions" sound familiar?) I would love to see statistics on people killed by rear ending lifted cherokees...
Truth is...Around here, more people get killed by people talking on their cells, falling asleep at the wheel, or drunk driving.... :rolleyes:
I guess in some areas, law enforcement has erradicated speeding and drunk driving since their measuring bumper heights....
BTW.... I am a former Law Enforcement Officer

And using bombing a bowling alley as an example is completely off-kilter and irrelevant to a traffic/safety law

There are thousands of hardworking honest officers in this country that use their common sense and instincts in the interest of public safety....
If all officers followed the "law is the law no matter what it is" mentality, we'd all have to deal with these on a daily basis:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21709&highlight=laws

Gil "Can you see the forest or the trees?" Bullycatz

Back