• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/A SYE problem

PETEY

NAXJA Forum User
I installed an A/A sye. Still waiting for the Tom Woods drive shaft. I figure I can drive on the front shaft until it gets here. 90' lerado, 4.0 ,aw4, np231.

The problem is that now it is stuck in 4 wheel drive even when the shifter is in 2h. It makes a grinding noise when in 4 low. What did I do wrong. I figure that I will probably have to split the case again. The directions say to cut the rod that protrudes from the case that actuates the vacuum module so that it sticks out 1 inch. I did so also because it was too long to fit into the new tail shaft housing. It doesn't apear to be moving in and out when the shifter is pulled back and forth. Any help with this will greatly appreciated.

I am also installing a RE 5.5 lift. I will just move on to the rear end so that I can get the drive shaft measurements then back to the transfer case. Thanks.

PETEY said:
...I figure I can drive on the front shaft until it gets here.... The problem is that now it is stuck in 4 wheel drive ....What did I do wrong...

Um....your driving in 4wd without a rear shaft lol

shouldnt be a problem doing that. keep in mind that all the power is now going through the chain in the case so take it easy.
That shaft should move in and out. Check the shift connection and make sure it is the right way. if not that... my guess is that the fork position guide thing in the case is not working right.

Make sure you didnt' attach the shift linkage to the (9/16 I think) bolt on the outside of the t-case upside down. Reeeeeeaaaaally easy to do. If the linkage is attached upside down, it will be physically impossible to shift out of 4 wheel drive.

If you are certain this is correct, I would crack the t-case and take a look around.

PETEY said:
does the shift linkage hang below or above?

Its been so long I don't remember, and its cold outside to go take a look. But how about this:

Try to turn the shaft the linkage attaches to with a crescent wrech or something to see if it is actually going to turn period. Doesn't take much force.

If this isn't working, you can try to unscrew the spring loaded button thing that keeps the t-case in whatever position. (Lame explanation, but if you split the case I'm hoping you know what I'm talking about.)

With this thing removed the only resistance the shaft should feel, if it is going to move, is the gears lining up and meshing together.

Hope this helps you out. I KNOW splitting the t-case again and finding out you didn't need to really sucks.

Thanks Dirk...

I went ahead and split it again anyway. After open it up again, took everything out, I spent more time looking at to see how everything works. I did unsrew the spring loaded screw. It sure helped to moved the shifter selector. Anyway, I'l put it back together tomarrow and see if it's going to work. It's getting pretty late.
I did finish installing the lift to the rear end. HOLY COW! I didn't think it was going to look so tall. I gained 7 inches with an RE 5.5 lift.

Back