• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shaving 8.25?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
ok, I don't have much experience with cast steel (or whatever it is that's used to make the diff housing) and I'm contemplaiting shaving off a bit of it (about 1/4" to 1/2" worth). I'm planning to shave it down to where there is those two triangulating pieces (for reinforcement). Then I iwll fit in a a custom slider underneath.
Anyways, is there anything to keep in mind while shaving? cutoff wheel? gridner wheel? plasma cutter??

Last edited:
I took a 4.5 inch grinder and cut up to the cover, then trimmed the cover and ground even more. There is a TON of useless lip hanging off the 8.25, just grind it flat to the profile of the rest of the diff.
My centersection looks exactly like a D35 now.

here's mine afterwards, some people said i went too far but it's gonna be trussed and a skid put on so it will be a non-issue
DSCF0228.jpg
thats 1.25" off straight through the bottom bolt

damn, and I thought I went high up. Does that thing have any sealing problems? Thats a lot of diff cover that isn't bolted down.

yota I didn't know you was on here too. anyway what about just welding the diff cover on and calling it good?

DIG IT!

OK, I didn't go as far as some of you guys did, but I did remove between .5" and 1" :D This is just to get me by till I get $$ and time to build up my D44 (so what are the lotto numbers for tomorrow?? :D)

yotaparts said:
here's mine afterwards, some people said i went too far but it's gonna be trussed and a skid put on so it will be a non-issue
thats 1.25" off straight through the bottom bolt

That's some nice work there boy, I'll bet you're running some big 'ol 37s on there aint ya? I heard that the 8.25 is strong as a D44 ya know....

I'd a gone a little higher & maybe removed the bolts next time you use the mill. Say, how'd you get that little piece of bolt to stay stuck on the cover there?

:sure:

-jb

That has to be one of the stupidest things ive seen!! :puke: sorry man but I feel that the diff is made that way for strangth reasons and what kind of wheelin are you doin where you absolutely need that miniscule 1/4" shaved off?????? Shaving a diff in my dictonary = just cleaning up and rounding off the rough edges so it slides a little better. trust me its not that big of a deal to leave it alone!!!!!

Uhh so yeah I think you should weld it solid man youve gone this far why not finish it off... who needs to change the diff fluid anyway? :fuse: :peace:

Come on guys, play nice. Yotaparts might have shaved a bit too much, but you gotta give him credit for balls... and to this:
"what kind of wheelin are you doin where you absolutely need that miniscule 1/4" shaved off??????"

Come to Victoria, I'll take you to a trail where you will rip that little lip off on your first day. Nothing wrong with shaving a bit like you say, but if you've ever been hung up on that stupid little lip, you can plainly see why someone would want to take a grinder to it.... my 2cents
Buck.

Oh I give him credit for havin balls to do that... I was just meaning that I wouldn't even dream about doin that on my 2000 xj I try to play nice

Buck Jackson said:
Come on guys, play nice. Yotaparts might have shaved a bit too much, but you gotta give him credit for balls... and to this:
"what kind of wheelin are you doin where you absolutely need that miniscule 1/4" shaved off??????"

Come to Victoria, I'll take you to a trail where you will rip that little lip off on your first day. Nothing wrong with shaving a bit like you say, but if you've ever been hung up on that stupid little lip, you can plainly see why someone would want to take a grinder to it.... my 2cents
Buck.
Oh he's got balls alright, plenty of 'em. AC/DC made a song about him.

Classic case of more balls than sense.

When you shave it correctly, people mistake it for a D35 with big tubes.

What happens when he backs into a big rock that doesn't budge, but pushes the center of the cover in and sends a leaky crease right down to the bottom?

I think all you guys need to buy some swamp land I've got in Florida. Great for your next housing project.

I'm pretty sure that Yota's heard of Photoshop, have you?

How exactly do you mill a complete axle that flat & still leave a 1/5 of a bolt head hanging onto the cover & then re-install it that way without anything to keep the cover from peeling off????

I'm pretty sure the point was that you 8.25 guys need to spend less time THINKING about mods & more time with a grinder in your hand, am I close 'Yota? (closer than some here) :)

Hello, is this thing on?

-jb (playing nice but you guys are gullable.) :wave:

vintagespeed said:
I think all you guys need to buy some swamp land I've got in Florida. Great for your next housing project.

I'm pretty sure that Yota's heard of Photoshop, have you?

How exactly do you mill a complete axle that flat & still leave a 1/5 of a bolt head hanging onto the cover & then re-install it that way without anything to keep the cover from peeling off????

I'm pretty sure the point was that you 8.25 guys need to spend less time THINKING about mods & more time with a grinder in your hand, am I close 'Yota? (closer than some here) :)

Hello, is this thing on?

-jb (playing nice but you guys are gullable.) :wave:
You need to stop smoking that wacky weed.

There isn't any bolt on the bottom of that diff.

Ever heard of a worn paint ring.

April 1st was last week.

I'm pretty sure that a mill would leave a cleaner cut than that.

Look closer Mr Smarty Pants.

Okie Terry said:
You need to stop smoking that wacky weed.

There isn't any bolt on the bottom of that diff.

Ever heard of a worn paint ring.

April 1st was last week.

I'm pretty sure that a mill would leave a cleaner cut than that.

Look closer Mr Smarty Pants.

So you're telling me that someone did this to a differential mounted IN their vehicle? With an angle grinder? How much wacky weed did it take to convince him to do that?

Why is there grinding grit everywhere except directly under the "cut" area? That's perfectly black on my screen.....

:dunno:

I'm pretty ghetto but at least I shaved my 14B while it was OUT of the vehicle.

-jb

vintagespeed said:
So you're telling me that someone did this to a differential mounted IN their vehicle? With an angle grinder? How much wacky weed did it take to convince him to do that?

Why is there grinding grit everywhere except directly under the "cut" area? That's perfectly black on my screen.....

-jb

I believe the black area is the shadow from the flash. Notice it up above too, the same width black stripe.

JP

vintagespeed said:

-jb
C'mon now, I took the sawzall to mine laying on my back.

I was able to take off a little over 1/2". After that I took the flapper disk to it and was able to go even higher while smoothing it out.

Hell, I even welded on CA mini skids while the axle was still under the XJ. Should I have pulled it out for that?

There's no rule of etiquitte for working on a vehicle. I may fab most of my own parts and install them on my back. Does this make me ghetto?:)

Oh, and turn up the brightness on your screen because It looks like a normal photo with shadows to me.

And Kejtar, If you would pull your diff cover once in a while and change your gear oil you'd see ten little silver rings just like that 1/2 of one on the bottom.:)

Back