• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeeking in rear triggered by bumps/dips ('96XJsport)

blairboyd

NAXJA Forum User
I apologize if this has been posted before, but whenever i hit a bump/dip there is something in the rear interior of my Jeep (96XJsport) that makes a shrill vibrating squeek. it sounds like it is coming from somewhere around the soundbar but i cant pinpoint it. i had the same problem in the last cherokee i owned so i thought that someone else must have put up with the same. if you have delt with this before or have any ideas as to what this may be and how i could fix it i would appreciate your help. thanks.

I started leaveing the wife home and greased my rear seat latches. The screetch disappeared.

Pop the light cover off the soundbar. I don't have a clue what they're called, but there are two metal pins coming down from the headliner that hold the light assembly in place. They are held with two washer-thingys (technical term) that can loosen up after a few years. Pull the pin down a bit and make sure the washer-thingy is secure.

The seat latch is also a squeaker on mine - a little white grease should fix 'er up.

It's your rear seat latch, mine only does it on one side....try folding down the seat or stuff a rag between the latch to see if it goes away.

Ditto, seat latch, I just unhook the driver's side latch and it goes away and when someone sits in it their weight latches it and also keeps it from squeaking. It about drove me crazy before I figured it out.

Yucca-Man said:
Pop the light cover off the soundbar. I don't have a clue what they're called, but there are two metal pins coming down from the headliner that hold the light assembly in place. They are held with two washer-thingys (technical term) that can loosen up after a few years. Pull the pin down a bit and make sure the washer-thingy is secure.

The seat latch is also a squeaker on mine - a little white grease should fix 'er up.

bingo on the soundbar pins. thanks.

Back