• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roll cage welding?

Jump This

Just another minion!
How does one finish ,completely weld around tube, a roll cage header?
I have been looking into a kit (essentialoffroad.com) for my four-door.
It appears as though there is no way to complete a weld on any of the tubes that back up to the headliner......am I missing something here? Or are some of you running roll cages that are not fully welded???

When you assemble the cage, only takc it to the floor. Then, once you have the bottom of all the tube welded, cut out the floor around you supports, lower the cage, fully weld the tops, raise and fully attach the cage. This is what I'm doing.

Fozzy said:
When you assemble the cage, only takc it to the floor. Then, once you have the bottom of all the tube welded, cut out the floor around you supports, lower the cage, fully weld the tops, raise and fully attach the cage. This is what I'm doing.

tell me you're kidding. First, remove the headliner. Second with a mig gun, you can get pretty damn near all the way around the joints. If you miss 1/4", don't sweat it, it will still be a solid joint, expecially if you gusset it.

I think its a great idea actually!

thats how URF does it.

inspired by bud light no doubt.

yeah, 310-degrees worth of weld is gonna hold well, but it if you can find a clever way to do 360, why not?

"Fabrication lubrication"

CRASH

cage1

I think how Jes has done his is great....maybe even perfect.....but......lets look at another way. Using the cut hole in the subfloor idea, why not just drill out your 1 3/4" holes, lower, weld, then install your doubler plates....this would allow you to buy off the shelf cages and still complete your weld.
If nothing else.....I think I have a better idea on how I will be doing it!
Rick

Jump This said:
I think how Jes has done his is great....maybe even perfect.....but......lets look at another way. Using the cut hole in the subfloor idea, why not just drill out your 1 3/4" holes, lower, weld, then install your doubler plates....this would allow you to buy off the shelf cages and still complete your weld.
If nothing else.....I think I have a better idea on how I will be doing it!
Rick

I don't like the idea of just using plates to tie the cage into the chassis, I really think you need it to tie into the "frame" in some fashion.

Jes

to get the tops take a 3/32 or 1/8 7018 welding and bend the last inch or two at what ever angle you need to get at that hard to reach area. Yes the flux will break off in the bend but only use what part hasn't broke off. A mirror can also be used to see back there. It takes some skill but it can be a real life saver in some situations. I'm a certified welder for a living and this is just one of many time saver tricks.

Back