• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mass Trail Maps??where!??

Shaun McCarthy

NAXJA Forum User
:wstupid: I tryed to search the mass.gov site but that didnt work...does anyone know how or where i can find 4x4 Trail maps for mass, or any place for that matter but mass is my home so id like to know where i can go...yes im new to this but im running what evryone dreams of a 1998 Cherokee mint condision made before the dreaded frame change lol

Most trails in New England (northern Maine being the exception) are on private land or contested state property. We have seen several recent instances of trails being closed to all access because of over-use. For this reason, it's a general principle on off-road boards in general, and especially in the northeast, to not publicize the locations of trails. There are numerous off-road clubs around New England, I doubt very much that anyone in any of them will tell you where trails are located if you're not a member.

My advice would be to join a club or two. As you go on their rides, you'll not only find out where the trails are, you'll also find out which can be run at any time and which should only be run with a group that has arranged permission. The North Atlantic Chapter of NAXJA has members setting up runs in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, and we're also working on doing more in Maine. You should also check out CTJeep.org and Eastern 4 Wheelers, although E4W is more hard-core oriented and if your Jeep is stock you can't run most of their trails.

Check the NAC (North Atlantic Chapter) forum for up-coming rides.

welcome to the board..... and "what he said".... good maps to get would be topographical maps from a hiking/outdoors shop.. just identify an area of interest and get a map for that area... check out the Mohawk Madness memorial day post in the NAC forum too

mike

I bought a bunch of topo maps for the mass area a couple of years ago while out on the cape so I know three stores there that sell them and have pretty much all the quadrangles in stock. One is a sporting goods store on the circle at Orleans, another is the boating supply store in wellfleet harbor and the third is the hardware/general store in Chatham so I know they are around. Check a few good sporting goods stores that have not knuckled under to the mass gun laws and still sells guns and hunting licenses, alot of the trails are marked on them.
I collect maps and usually end up framing them....
One of the book companies makes a spring ring type binder of topo maps in one book about the size of a road atlas but they don't have alot of detail. You can also order them from the US Geological survey site or find links to their retailers who sell them for them. Basically you need the blank map that shows outlines and lists the map numbers for the quadrangles you are interested in, then you order them, they are usually around $10 ea, depends on the store, hiking and climbing stores can get a bit pricey...

Yea i'm in Eastern MA one of the densest populated metropolitan areas in the country it sucks, the only places to go off roading I can find are "tresspassing" but if anyone has any good spots post em up!

Back