• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roll cage in my XJ is done with pics...

atowley

NAXJA Forum User
So what do you guys think?

photo_038.jpg

photo_036.jpg

photo_033.jpg

photo_035.jpg

Be sure to get some good padding......

:D

Overkill > *.*

I'd rather have overkill and carry around an extra 50 pounds of steel, then underdo it and have the cage collapse and twist up on me. :)

Yeah, I've already hit my head one too many times... Padding is severely needed.

atowley said:
I'd rather have overkill and carry around an extra 50 pounds of steel, then underdo it and have the cage collapse and twist up on me. :)

Me too!

Goatman said:
Be sure to get some good padding......

:D

be sure to check with your sanctioning body!

:roflmao: :roflmao:

The problem with "overkill" in cages is the potential that the cage will cause more bodily injuries than the rollover would have. Stock non-cage XJ's are known for holding up fairly well in rollovers, so a minumum amout of cage is actually needed to insure safety for the occupants. The other benefit of a cage is adding structural rigidity and increasing the life of the body under hard usage, but it's best to do this in a way that doesn't add to the risk of head injuries to the occupants. A cage can also be built to insure that the rig is capable of sustaining multiple rollovers without significant damage to the rig, but this requires an exo-cage to some degree.

Last edited:
looks nice. My only comment is on the 5 point harness addition. You want your bar that the harness attaches to to be shoulder height and no lower. This is because the harness has a tendency to compress your spine if it is too low.

SeanP

so true. I looked at exo cages and I just didn't want to go through all that effort. The two reasons for this cage is just what you stated. Protect the occupants and also a stiffining factor. I've ordered Summits racing seats already because I want to tie the seats into the cage, and it will also give me more head clearance since they sit a good couple of inches lower then the stock seat. The bars running above my head are the only ones that I'm worried about in terms of hitting my head.

glad to see the cage in. My A pillar and B pillar shifted 2.5" to the pass side when I put mine on its side, hate to think of where my roof would have been if it went all the way over then slid down the hill that I was on. I was able to portapower mine pretty straight then weld in the cage.
Ohyah...and about nogin bonkin,,,I've hit my head more on the stock xj door pilar trying to see out the side window than I've hit my cage yet. My wife was trying a hill in her trail xj and smacked her head so hard she had to stop driving for a few minutes so IMHO stock xj's can us a bit of padding on the door pilar.

Back