• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch woes:repair:

RNMedic

NAXJA Member #659
hey guys help me out. sons replaced the clutch in one of their trucks 87 Commanche, tried to get it in neutral no go. all new clutch hardware including the clutch line, previuos owner jury rigged the fittings, bled okay good pressure on pedal. put shifter back in unable to shift, and feels like clutch shot, starting it with clutch in and bounces forward like it's still in gear. HELP this is stopping me from putting a lift on my 86:confused: :confused: :repair:

If you have an AX5 tranny you might look to see if the release lever (holds the throwout bearing) is in end for end. It can go in backwards and looks counter-intuitive to how it works.

Was the tranny in gear when you pulled the shifter? If it was then you need to make sure that the shifter is in the same position that it was when you pulled it! Let me know if I can help. [email protected]

clutch woes

yup believe it was but thought we put shifter back in same, maybe not? John:confused:

Did you get it working?

okay back to working on this thing after job change and a bunch of other stuff. I think when the shifter was pulled it was in 1st gear. anyone know how to get it in neutral without pulling the trans again?????:confused: :fuse:

Well......

I have not seen th BA 5/10 but going on what I know about the AX trannies there should be some shift rails when you look into the top of the shifter housing. neutral in the AX is all of them lined up even. Did you try to instal the shifter in the gear it was in?

I hate to even suggest this, but are you certain the clutch was installed correctly? Awhile back someone described the same symptoms you just described, and the problem was that he installed the new clutch with the wrong side of the disc facing the flywheel, making it impossible for the fingers to disengage the pressure plate.

I thought of that but I checked and double checked that when the clutch plate and pressure plate were installed, but we may need to pull the trans again just to make sure. John

Back